Export Using Quicktime Conversion to AVI produces visually corrupt results

Posted by Andy Mees 
Export Using Quicktime Conversion to AVI produces visually corrupt results
January 26, 2007 02:11AM
Movies produced by Export Using Quicktime Conversion... Format: AVI / DV - PAL are corrupt.

Movies exported in this fashion can be seen to judder or skip during playback, frame by frame analysis clearly shows that this judder is due to duplicate frames being inserted and correct frames being skipped.

This can clearly be demonstrated by testing for yourself with any DV - PAL QT source exported to a DV - PAL AVI.
Specific settings I have used are:
Video - Compression: DV- PAL, Quality: High, Frame rate: 25, Scan Mode: Interlaced, Aspect Ratio: 4:3
Sound - Format: Uncompressed, Sample rate: 48 kHz, Sample size: 16, Channels: 2

Check the result, there will be an extra frame every 2 seconds and 6 frames.
These results have been independently verified by numerous facility's including

I have not tested to see if the bug is present with any other AVI codecs although I have seen reports to suggest the problem is not codec dependent, although those reports have always been with PAL users.
Re: Export Using Quicktime Conversion to AVI produces visually corrupt results
February 04, 2007 10:48PM
Agree. I just tested this using Quicktime as an export. It seems like an extra frame is being added every couple of seconds when exporting to AVI using those settings. I'm PAL too.

February 06, 2007 11:06AM
yes...same situation here...does anybody know how to avoid this?.....
February 15, 2007 08:50AM
Its a total pain in the butt. The workaround we use is to export reference movie then use MPEG StreamClip's File > Export to AVI (w/ Compressor set to Apple DV PAL)

In the interest of accuracy, it seems its not always 2:06 per repeated frame. I have had results that are 2:12 also ... but whtever the interval it seems to be a constant ie every xx frames.

I have just been testing with NTSC AVI ... whilst this does not produce the corrupted video stream it also does not produce a "standard" avi file. Third party API calls to the MainConcept codec do not return correct frame sizes, rather it returns the frame size of the native file. That means, if you start out with a compressed HD native file (NTSC) with a frame size such as 1440x1080, then export as (NTSC) AVI (720x480), the resulting file still reports itself as being a 1440x1080 file when using an API call to the codec itself .... but I digress.
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics