program crashes when dragging sequences

Posted by DM 
DM
program crashes when dragging sequences
April 04, 2007 09:45AM
FC ver 5.1.4 Intel Mac

When nesting sequences, I drag my originals from the browser to the timeline and place them with the snapping tool on. My window configuration is such that the browser is located to the left side of the timeline at the bottom. (instead of top left). I am editing in DV format, 2 cameras and one audio track.

This is the 4th time (3 x occurring within 15 minutes) that I get the spinning beach ball for a few seconds and the program unexpectedly closes. As I drag, I notice that the canvas never produces a picture when attempting to align the sequence in the timeline. Soon after I start dragging, the cursor seems to hit a blank or glitch and then the program crashes.
Most of the time, this process works fine. I find myself saving the file every third or fourth drag because I've lost of lot of work.
I've been using this configuration for quite a while. I think I have enough horsepower.

FC 5.1.4,
2 gigs of RAM
Intel Dual Core 17" macbook pro
OS 10.4.8
Firewire 800 capture drive. 150 gigs available
Firewire 400 bus output to Sony DSR-25 deck.
DVI connected to Apple 23" cinema display
Re: program crashes when dragging sequences
April 04, 2007 04:42PM
yes, it looks like you have enough RAM.
but i've never heard it happening before, so i suspect it's not a bug
how big is the sequence you're dragging?
i'd have a look in the sequence you;re dragging for things like illegal graphics (CMYK)

also try this: COPY the sequence in the browser, and PASTE it into the timeline.

nick
DM
April 04, 2007 04:55PM
My sequences are very small. They are songs. Most of them shorter than 4 minutes. Non external graphics, just the usual dissolves and cross fades from final cut itself. I can drag quite a few, one after another with good results. Then, randomly, as I'm dragging the next, the beach ball appears briefly, then the whole program window collapses to the desktop with an unexpected error message. I'm only dragging two camera and two audio tracks.
April 06, 2007 09:01PM
Doubt this is a bug - since a bug is a repeatable error that occurs on everyone's system, and this doesn't happen to the rest of us.

This is a question for the troubleshooting forum. There's something woring with your machine.

DM
April 07, 2007 12:31AM
Well, maybe so.
However, it's probably good to flag it as I'm not sure how many people do this. I'm sure it's pretty tough to test every way that people might work. Hopefully with each software rev. the program gets stronger.
thx for you help
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics