FCP 6.0 possible render display bug.

Posted by Jude Cotter 
FCP 6.0 possible render display bug.
August 14, 2007 09:35PM
I'm working on animating a graph in FCP 6.0.1 right now that's nine layers.

I'm getting a wierd display problem. All of the layers except one is a continuous psd or text or colour matte or gradient. One layer is a text layer that gets changed (its a year marker) every few seconds.

Whenever the layer with the date marker gets a small gap in it, all the layers underneath kind of reset, so that the animation on them starts again from the head. There is no render line and I can play at what looks like full res.

If I select the clips and option render or go to Render > All > Both, it displays correctly.

This is not too hard to do, but it's quite confusing while you work. I'm not sure if it's just my machine. Here's a screenshot of the layers

The inflow psd has crop and position keyframes. I did try both Title 3d and the plain 'text'. Both behaved the same way.

Also, although I have selected Hoefler text for some elements, they decided that they would rather be .. I think it's arial, even after render.

Can anyone replicate this?

Re: FCP 6.0 possible render display bug.
August 14, 2007 11:00PM
Could you post the project file somewhere Jude?

Thanks.
August 15, 2007 09:47AM
Yep - I'll post a cut down version in the morning. I just had a play with this project again and now it won't give me the realtime playback, so everything has to be rendered, which means no display glitch. Not sure why it would let me work without rendering yesterday and not today.

August 15, 2007 09:55AM
Does it show up when you're in Unlimited RT?
August 15, 2007 08:59PM
I can't actually get it to happen at all now, and I can't get the display to not require rendering with the exact same sequence. The other day it didn't want any kind of render, but wouldn't display correctly unless I forced it to render full.

Here's a link to the project file [members.iinet.com.au]

The disturbing thing at the time was that it was affecting untouched layers. I have noticed a couple of times in FCP 6 that forcing it to do "full" renders when it doesn't think it needs to render often make the display glitches go away. Another example would be things like bumps in dissolves.

For the records I'm on 10.4.10, QT 7.2, eight core, two internal sata II drives both less than half full, and (yeah I know) 2gb ram.

August 15, 2007 09:04PM
Also - can you let me know if the date displays as Hoeffler in your version? In mine, although it is the correct font in the text controls box, in the timeline it's not. Have a look at, say, the 5s in 1955 in both versions. Please. smiling smiley

August 15, 2007 09:16PM
Little problem with the text. The text controls say its Hoefler Text. It displays in the text controls as Hoefler, but it doesn't display in the canvas correctly.

It does if you use Title 3D, but the font is weird because numbers are so much smaller than caps, so you either have the weird small numbers giant caps or you have to use Boris so the sizing can be different.

Can't reproduce the render problem, but the font display not being correct in the Canvas is bad. I remember a similar issue with the text tool a couple of versions back where it changed fonts to italics rather arbitrarily.
August 15, 2007 10:15PM
Ta Tom. I'll give the dates a go with Boris here and see if that makes a difference. I thought I did that already but I could have been stressing more about the animation reset at the time.

Next time I get a display glitch I'll post it before it's been render as 'full' and see if we can catch it.

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics