ProResHQ Color Shift

Posted by philspitler 
ProResHQ Color Shift
January 21, 2010 12:54PM
I am having a hell of a time roundrtipping from FCP.

The editor was editing in a ProResHQ timeline and exported still frames, I did some design work on them in AE and sent them back.

They look fine in FCP on the computer monitor but not on the broadcast monitor, there is a huge color shift.

So, I got him to re-import the stills he exported before I touched them, he had the same issue. This is good from my perspective as it is not an AE issue.....

We tried exporting still frames and QT files but no luck.

It looks fine in QT player and AE, no color shift.

If I export from QT Pro to another codec, the color shift goes with it (again only on the broadcast monitor).

So, I took the QT and ran it through compressor and made a DVD... yep, the color shift came through on the mpeg2.

I have finally found a workaround, I take the entire rendered QT and run it through AE to create a fresh QT with no gamma info.

This works but is not ideal, having to explain to the client that the color will match in the final but he can't see it on the broadcast monitor is not fun....

Any ideas.

Thanks.

Phil
Re: ProResHQ Color Shift
February 02, 2010 04:47PM
If you're importing RGB images, it could well be the Gamma option not being correctly set in FCP. There's a default in user preferences and you can also change it on individual imported clips.

Martin Baker
[www.digital-heaven.co.uk]
Unique plug-ins and tools for Apple Pro Apps
February 03, 2010 11:44PM
I'm having a similar problem... When I export from FCP 6 via Quicktime conversion, I get a pretty good color drop-off... I'm exporting as h264... I was told at first it was as Snow Leopard issue, so I downgraded to Leopard... Still getting the same issue...

Both exports were identical with the exception of the operating systems... both exports had colors that were much flatter and duller than what was in the canvas...

imported as hdv 1060i...

looking for any help...

thanks,
jeff brooks
video fishbowl
February 04, 2010 03:26AM
Jeff

Do a search for "quicktime h.264 gamma" and you'll get a ton of results about this problem

Martin Baker
February 04, 2010 10:59AM
so after reading that I'm not the only one with the problem, is there a solution? none of posts seem to offer a solution that works...

thanks,
Jeff Brooks
Video Fishbowl
www.videofishbowl.com
February 04, 2010 03:22PM
Sorry no idea. Just pointing out what it is.

Martin Baker
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics