Toast and DVD burners

Posted by Craig 
Toast and DVD burners
September 02, 2003 09:14PM
Hi,
As I am learning about DVD burning, I am seeing that Toast is a very useful program. I have read that it is very useful when you have to do multiple copies of a DVD and also that it might actually burn better (fewer coasters) true or perceived, I don't know. I even read where someone had no compatability issues with an external 4X burner, but did with an internal 2X.
What I would appreciate someone helping me out with is:
Can you use toast with an Apple installed DVD burner?
The copy or whatever it is called that you make when you want to make multiple copies- can that be done with an internal burner?
Can you control the speed of burning with Toast on an internal burner?
Thank you,
Craig
Re: Toast and DVD burners
September 02, 2003 11:45PM
Toast is indeed useful, and as Ken pointed out, it has a couple nice features, such as preventing an under-burn. I personally do not use Toast, but that's just cause I am too lazy to check it out since what I have works right now. Why fix what isn't broken...

What you read about the 2x and 4x is most likely an issue that cropped up some time ago when customers of the internal 2x SuperDrive started buying 4x media. There was an issue where the SuperDrive was not detecting the burn process and it would just burn it set out waiting to see what it couldn't see. A FirmWare fix came out later which allows for 4x DVD-R media to be used on the 2x SuperDrive, but if memory serves me, at only 1x.

Buying 4x media and these Macs with 4x SuperDrives should yield 4x speeds. 2x media on a 2x drive should yield a 2x burn, and if I am mistaken about the 4x media on a internal firmware updated super drive yielding 1x performance, someone will surely correct me. I have 2x media so I have not noticed any slowness.

Can you use Toast to burn a DVD with just the internal Apple SuperDrive and a copy of the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folder? The answer is YES. Can you control the speed with Toast? I don't own Toast, so someone will else will add comments I am sure and let you know.

Good luck learning DVD authoring! Stick with it!
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics