Image in Buttons

Posted by Dick Swanson 
Image in Buttons
October 07, 2003 05:20PM
I'm trying to build a page of chapter buttons, a Chapter Index using buttons or drop zones instead of dropping image in "Create Chapter Index, Make Connections". The still images were created in photoshop at 720x540->480, then flattened).

I find that I'm unable to resize the PSD to fit the Apple Buttons or Drop Zones (as well, the Shift/Option/Click only moves the image horizontally, not vertically).

When I resize the Buttons and/or Drop Zones the PSD resizes along with it and I'm unable to see the full image.

If these images should be created at smaller sizes nothing I found in the manual (and everywhere else I could read) did not make that point.

I've been too close to the problem too long today to see the solution...am I part of the problem? :+)

Dick Swanson

Studio Pro 2
G4 867 1.12GB
Re: Image in Buttons
October 09, 2003 06:01PM
This has everything to do with how shape objects are created before hand.

You can read my tutorial on the subject here:
[www.kenstone.net]

Once you understand shapes, you have to dig a little deeper to see what is causing this issue for you.

First, in the shape object itself, there is a mask layer which defines where the picture asset you are dropping will go. The dimension of the entire shape object is 100% and your image will define itself to that scale based on the x and y. So as an example, if in my shape object I have a frame boarder, then because that frame consumes the surrounding area of total x and y dimension, some of my image I drop into that drop zone, will be cut off by the shape layer, which overlays the mask layer of the button or drop zone shape object asset. You will have to compensate for that by adding a border to the image you drop into the shape object to compensate for the shape layer that is covering up some of the image you dropped in.

Let me try to be very clear.

You have 4 clear plastic sheets. The are each 5" x 5" for the x and y.

One sheet, the bottom one, is a mask layer. One is a shape layer. The shape layer is what the drop zone or button looks like. It is the icon itself. Like a real picture frame you drop a physical picture into. Part of the frame of a picture frame covers a picture you fit between the glass and the backing of the frame. Drop Zones and Button shapes objects work this way. The shape layer covers the mask layer. Your image is fitted as best it can be to the 5 x 5 x and y, but the shape layer covers it a bit around the edges unless the shape layer is blank.

So your job is to make your image a little smaller so that it fits the glass area only, and not the full 5 x 5 x and y. So around your own image, you can add a bit more space. For example, make your image 4 x 4 and drop it on a photoshop background of 5 x 5. Now it is 5 x 5 but the part you want to see is 4 x 4. If the frame itself is 1" on all sides, you are perfect.

So there is compensation to be considered.

Read the article about shapes and you will understand their structure. Once you have that clear, you can create your own and perfect the results.

Now, if your shape is larger than the asset you drop it into, you can pan your image around in the shape by holding down Option-Shift and then dragging the image around. You can't resize it that I know of.
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics