Copy Protection

Posted by Englishman 
Copy Protection
March 22, 2006 12:35PM
Is it possible to burn a DVD with regional coding and Macromiadia copy protection, directly out of DVD Studio Pro. Without needing to send it to the replicator?

Re: Copy Protection
March 22, 2006 12:58PM
No. You need replication and a lot of money to pay for it. It's Macrovision BTW.

Graeme

[www.nattress.com] - Plugins for FCP-X
March 22, 2006 03:00PM
Thanks for your reply Graeme. Can I please ask; how do you know you can't?

The thing is; the replicator is asking me for my project on DVD with copy protection. And they say it it's only possible with DVD Studio Pro. Otherwise they will have to re-aurthor the project. total cost for a minimum order would be about $2430.00 and my client only need about 10 Discs.

I'm a PC guy, and I know it can't be done with any PC software, even though the marketing blurb makes it sound like it can. "Sonic DVD It Pro" advertises copy protection on their software, but when applied, it's only possible to out put to DLT, not to a burnt disc.

Could I ask a big favor; could you or somebody explain how the process works. or just simply the procedure with DVD Studio Pro. I understand there is a check box for copy protection in the burning dialog box in DVD Studio Pro, how does that work?

Thanks for your help!

March 22, 2006 04:39PM
The DVD spec doesn't support copy protection on burned discs. DVD SP will writ e the flags, but they get acknowledged by the kit that makes the glass master, and you've got to pay some big fees too, to Macrovision etc. I think that has to come from the DLT rather than the burned disc though.

I'd think the simplest solution is to council your client that copy protection is a waste of money.

Graeme

[www.nattress.com] - Plugins for FCP-X
March 22, 2006 05:34PM
Thankyou, Graeme.

Perfect answer. I will council my client that copy protection is a waste of money. Actually, I agree 100%

Nick
DH
March 23, 2006 01:09PM
Hi all.

Yes, copy protection is a waste of money, especially with the myriad of DVD rippers on the Internet that can rip DVDs and remove the CSS (Macrovision) and region coding.

Take care.

-DH
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics