Compressor or Quicktime self-contained???

Posted by Marla Mitchnick 
Compressor or Quicktime self-contained???
June 06, 2006 08:01AM
Hi there all-

I also posted this on cafe LA:

My timeline is 40 mins, and would take 10-12 hours to compress in best quality mode. Sadly, I do not have the time.

I output a QT self-contained, with DVD Studio Pro Chapter Markers, and that file looks good.

I just started a Compressor export using the fast encode, and if I let it go it'll take about 3 hours. At this point I am supposed to vacate the room in just about 3 hours! And it would be ideal to be leaving here with a DVD master in my hand... I am in an edit room with DVD studio pro 4, and FCP 5.3 (perhaps t's 5.03?) and a dual G5 tower...

But alternately, if the compressor file is good, I can take it uptown where I have access to DVD Studio Pro 3, which is way too slow for a QT file, but compresor files are fine there. The job deadline is not so pressing, the equipment access is the rush.

My other option is to try to use the QT file here now, and not bother with the compressorafst encode export. The scary thing is if I do that, I will not so easily be able to do a compressor export at all, because I don't have this version of FCP anywhere else...

I am nervous about the idea of using the QT file straight into DVD SP, because I have never done it, and I don't know how DVD Studio Pro 4 compresses the media, and I also don't know if THAT takes forever... I trust compressor, from god experiences thus far.

Anyone have experience using longish "QT self contained movies" into DVD Studio Pro 4? Does it compress well generally? And is it very slow?

My piece is not heavy-FX, but it does have 4 layers of cropped black slug on top, as it's a hand-made letterbox matt with sides to keep things clean for projection...other than that there are some fades and dissolves and a few cheesy swing-cuts, and some stills with slow moves.

All experience and anecdotes are much-appreciated,

Marla, yeah, still awake in New York...
PS-been up all night, sorry if unclear...
Re: Compressor or Quicktime self-contained???
June 13, 2006 11:00AM
DVDSP will compress self-contained QT with the same quality as Compressor. (Uses the same engine). But...

It will be slower.

bob rice
frameworx media
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics