Problem with Photoshop 7 .psd file in DVDSP 3 ? it's jagged!

Posted by rkwhitton 
Problem with Photoshop 7 .psd file in DVDSP 3 ? it's jagged!
October 03, 2007 12:09AM
Greetings,

I'm having problems when I import files from Windows Photoshop 7 .psd to DVDSP 3 Mac. The edges of squares that are placed diagonally to the edges of the screen (not parallel to the screen edges), circles, and some parts of text all look jagged.

Here are the four experiments that I tried:

Original size 720 x 534, 72 ppi photoshop 7 .psd file looks perfect in photoshop ? all elements have smooth edges. Import into DVDSP 3 ? looks jagged. Proportions look perfect though ? a square is a square (not a rectangle) and a circle is a circle (not an oval).

Original size 720 x 534, 72 ppi photoshop 7 .psd file looks perfect in photoshop ? all elements have smooth edges.. Resize it: image/image size/resample image 720 x 480. Looks stretched vertically. Import into DVDSP 3 ? looks jagged but doesn't look stretched vertically. Proportions look perfect though ? a square is a square (not a rectangle) and a circle is a circle (not an oval).

Original size 720 x 480, 72 ppi photoshop 7 .psd looks perfect ? all elements have smooth edges. Import into DVDSP 3 ? finally the edges of elements do NOT look jagged. Does look a little stretched vertically though (as expected). The circle looks a bit oval and the square looks rectangular.

I even tried importing the original illustrator 10 .ai file (that I took the elements from to make the .psd file) at 720 x 534 into DVDSP and the imported menu looked perfectly smooth, not jagged, and proportions were perfect too.

The DVDSP 3 manual clearly says on pg. 77 to create the Photoshop .psd file at 720 x 534 pixels, import it into DVDSP and DVDSP will rescale it to 720 x 480. Unfortunately, I still need to used a layered .psd file for my simple overlay menus.

Why do the Photoshop 7 .psd menu graphic's elements look jagged when imported to DVDSP 3 at 720 x 534? How do I fix this?

Thanks for your help! smiling smiley

Roger
rkwhitton@yahoo.com
Re: Problem with Photoshop 7 .psd file in DVDSP 3 ? it's jagged!
October 03, 2007 12:16AM
Oops.

When I wrote:

"The DVDSP 3 manual clearly says on pg. 77 to create the Photoshop .psd file at 720 x 534 pixels, import it into DVDSP and DVDSP will rescale it to 720 x 480. Unfortunately, I still need to use a layered .psd file for my simple overlay menus."

I meant to put the "Unfortunately, I still need to used a layered .psd file for my simple overlay menus." at the end of the following paragraph instead:

"I even tried importing the original illustrator 10 .ai file (that I took the elements from to make the .psd file) at 720 x 534 into DVDSP and the imported menu looked perfectly smooth, not jagged, and proportions were perfect too. Unfortunately, I still need to use a layered .psd file for my simple overlay menus."

Sorry for any confusion.

Roger
Solved - Re: Problem with Photoshop 7 .psd file in DVDSP 3 ? it's jagged!
October 03, 2007 01:04AM
Here's the solution.

OK, I tried my 2nd experiment from above again and this time it worked perfectly! All of the elements look beautifully smooth and not jagged! From reading lots of posts in various forums, it seems as though you shouldn't rely on DVDSP 3 to resize your 720 x 534 NTSC 4:3 graphics to 720 x 480 for you.

You should do the resizing yourself in Photoshop. This is true for Photoshop 7 and before. Perhaps the relationship between DVDSP 3 and Photoshop CS and after is better.

Anyway, here's the method again for importing .psd files, yes even from Windows, into DVDSP 3 to ensure that the edges of graphic elements and text are beautifully smooth even after the import.

1. Create an original size 720 x 534, 72 ppi photoshop 7 .psd file
2. Resize it in Photoshop: image/image size/resample image 720 x 480. May look stretched vertically.
3. Import into DVDSP 3. The graphic for your menu should look nice and all of the graphic elements will have smooth edges if they started out smooth in Photoshop.

Roger
rkwhitton@yahoo.com
October 09, 2007 09:36AM
That information is in the apendix of every DVD Studio Pro manual. Rectangular vs square pixels issue.
October 12, 2007 01:57PM
I'm trying to remember- does Photoshop 7 not have non-square pixels as an option. I know CS2 at least has it, and CS3 has even more options for HD and the like. Those have always worked for me.
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics