What format 8.5gig DVD for large projects?

Posted by Chadfish 
What format 8.5gig DVD for large projects?
February 06, 2008 11:52AM
Hi

I have a client with an almost 3 hour seminar I just edited. I am authoring in DVD Studio Pro.

I don't want to compress the footage too much, so I'd like to burn it on to a larger DVD.

? I bought some Memorex "Double Layer DVD=R DL Double capacity Single Sided" DVDs.
It seemed to work in one of my DVD players at home, but not the other, and it does not work in any of my client's machines or computers (PC).

? Which is a preferred brand / type of DVD for large projects? Dual layer? Double layer?
? Where can I order these for a reasonable price?

I got the ones I have at Radio Shack for around 5.00 a piece. That ain't cool... So if you can please make a suggestion I would greatly appreciate it as my client is waiting, and this will save him from having to break the seminar into 2 discs and pay twice as much for printing.

THANKS!!

Chadfish

Stats:
Final Cut Studio 2
Mac Pro
Processor: 2x3 Ghz Quad Core Intel Zeon
Memory: 5GB 667 Mhz DDR2 FB-Dimm

My Music: [www.humboldtmusic.com]
My Work: [www.precisionintermedia.com] (Video & Jingles)
My Fun Video: [www.youtube.com]
Re: What format 8.5gig DVD for large projects?
February 06, 2008 01:38PM
Another question:

When doing a build/format on a double layer DVD should I set the layer to "Dual"? There is no "Double" setting.

Thanks again

Chad

Stats:
Final Cut Studio 2
Mac Pro

February 08, 2008 07:44AM
Dual and Double layer are marketing "terms" invented to differentiate DVD - and DVD +, as they are totally different formats. (Kinda like PC vs MacOs disk formats)

One works as well as the other depending on the delivery platform. Most DVD players can play either format as burner/player drives can do either.

The delivery is important. Are you going to deliver one copy or is this to be duplicated or replicated?

Creating the DUAL layer disc is the only option in DVDSP. Just make sure when setting the break-point, that the top layer has at least 10% more content than the bottom layer and set the laser travel to OTP (default).
February 08, 2008 11:26AM
As it turned out, I tried it again with a different compression setting, and it worked with one of my "Double" layer discs. Also strangely I didn't have the target set on the PLAY button, but it worked when I tested it in my DVD player!!! So I thought it was fine. When the client couldn't play it I looked at the project again and noticed the target was not set. Don't ask me how it played in my Panasonic recordable DVD/VCR. Also I saw nothing to set the % of material on one layer vs another. Can you tell me where that is?

So, it's "Dual Layer" = DVD-R, and "Double Layer" = DVD +R? In that case I would like to know a good brand for Dual Layer DVDs. TDK?

I am making one disc that is to be duplicated. This is what I need to know about. Will Double Layer work for a duplication place?

Thanks

Chadfish

Stats:
Final Cut Studio 2
Mac Pro

February 08, 2008 01:18PM
A duplication place? Duplication means that you make copies on your or some other computer with DVD-+R discs.

Replication means you pay a service to build copies of that disc much the way records used to be reproduced.

Usually depends on the number of copies desired.
February 08, 2008 01:29PM
OK WHen my client sends out the DVD to get duplicated (anyone jump in here please) do they have a preference for +R or -R Discs?

It seems my client is having trouble playing my +R DVD on his work PC, an older make. It plays fine on my PC, and my Mac. He needs to play it to tell me if he wants any changes.

He will be doing 100-200 copies, probably "duplicated" not "replicated".

What is the standard for long (3 hr) DVDs?

Thanks

Chad

Stats:
Final Cut Studio 2
Mac Pro

February 08, 2008 10:12PM
100 - 200 copies is probably not copies to justify using Replication. Usually, 1000 or more copies can justify replication. 100-200 copies, just duplicate on DVD-+R discs.

DVD-R was the first to be used and DVD+R came later as the (other) child.

-R can usually be played on older DVD players but as of 3-4 years ago, most all will play either.

The main thing is to keep the bit-rate low (below 6 mbps) and use .ac3 audio. Any DVD player should be able to read this.
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics