How to format the "Selected" portion of a button

Posted by mcstrangelove 
How to format the "Selected" portion of a button
May 04, 2008 10:03PM
I created a simple menu screen with 4 chapter buttons (a jpeg for each chapter). I'm trying to format each one so that it is highlighted when selected. Problem is, the highlighted area is significantly larger than the jpeg it is supposed to cover and actually bleeds onto its neighboring buttons. When I try to size it down, the jpeg shrinks along with it! Also, there's a strange little line that appears at the bottom of each jpeg when selected (it looks like a thin button, but there is no way to delete it or format it either).

I tried going through the DVDSP manual & index but nothing seems applicable.

Is there a way to format this "highlight" on the menu button/jpeg so that it only covers the jpeg?

Thanks for any assistance!
Re: How to format the "Selected" portion of a button
May 07, 2008 03:23AM
I'm guessing the strange line comes from a default button style. It's probably not the way you want to highlight a button. You have to use a more advanced method.

I haven't employed JPEG image buttons in my menus yet but I think you need to apply an overlay to the image background to see it highlight-- it's a graphic greyscale or color layer in the same Photoshop document you create for the menu background. The layer provides your custom graphic shapes for Selected and Activated states.

Design of the overlay requires some clever use of buttonspace. You can create a button for instance with an interior square in red, and a thick border in blue, and after importing it, you tell DVDSP which layer represents the button overlays, and then map the graphic colors to custom colors of your choice. The red area might be mapped to orange to represented Selected, and the blue border to bright green to represent Activated, which flashes just briefly. When the button is Selected, you see the fill color, and when activated you see the border.

Study up, it' a rich area.

- Loren
Today's FCP keytip:

Toggle your Timeline Filters bar with Option T !

Final Cut Studio 2 KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
Re: How to format the "Selected" portion of a button
May 07, 2008 12:26PM
Thanks for the info. I think the problem stems from using one of DVDSP's templates. I'm gonna take the time and create my own so I can have more control over the situation.

Thanks again!

Mac
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics