Artifacts on DVDs

Posted by preditor 
Artifacts on DVDs
May 17, 2008 02:36PM
Has anyone else had problems with artifacts on DVDs created with iDVD or DVD Pro? When processing from a DV timeline, the DVDs are clean, but the timelines with broadcast video captured with the Blackmagic Extreme and exported uncompressed have strange artifacts on playback. Dropping the sequence in a DV timeline and rendering solves the problem, but appears to dimish the quality.
Re: Artifacts on DVDs
May 17, 2008 04:41PM
Why are you using the Extreme in the first place. Just stay in DV. Don't assume exporting uncompressed will give you a better image.

Michael Horton
-------------------
May 17, 2008 09:04PM
I personally can't advise you or tell what you are talking about unless I see the footage or stills from the footage.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

May 18, 2008 08:42PM
> Why are you using the Extreme in the first place. Just stay in DV.

Not necessarily. I'm assuming this "broadcast" project is from a digital beta source (broadcast quality), so this would need to be captured by a capture card (Decklink Extreme in this case), captured, edited and rendered Uncompressed 10bit 4:2:2 for best quality. Digital Beta---> 10 bit SDI out ----> Uncompressed 4:2:2 ----> mpeg2 encoding

Digital Beta--> 10bit SDI out ---> (Card downconversion) DV25 ---> Mpeg2 encoding will result in compromised quality, since the Mpeg encoding will be working off compromised quality.

>Dropping the sequence in a DV timeline and rendering solves the problem, but appears
>to dimish the quality.

Depending on what you are doing, the quality might diminish, if uncompressed footage gets compressed down to DV25 before being exported and sent to Compressor.

preditor, you need to provide a lot more information and stills for us to assess the issue at all. What are your presets (are effects handled by the card or fcp), how are you exporting the footage, what kind of artifacts (can we get a screenshot).

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics