my 1st DVD!!

Posted by J.Garcia 
my 1st DVD!!
May 20, 2008 11:11AM
I am putting together a live show dvd, I am editing in FCS, using a Laptop with 2 g-raids 500.

The program is around 60 minutes long, shot on multiple mini dv cameras ranging from cheap one chip to dvx 100.
All the footage was capture thru firewire using a sony dsr 11 deck, straight (thru fcs) to the g raids.

The look of it is one of a bootleg style show w multiple cameras and good coverage.

Here are the technical question?

1- Should I compress the whole timeline (60 minutes) as one self contained movie with chapter markers and then compress in Compressor or should I compress individual movies for each song and build it with stories in dvd sp?

2- I capture the footage thru firewire. Will i benefit (image quality) on recapturing the edit in uncompress 10 bit for color correcting and also for compressing to dvd?

3- What is the best way to create a Master DVD for duplication? Where can I read more about a Glass master and will this be the best quality?

4- Given the nature of the filming and the cameras used I want the final delivery to maintain as much quality as possible.

well thanks for the amazing work done in this website and forum appreciate everybodys input and knowledge

respectfully

J. García
Re: my 1st DVD!!
May 20, 2008 12:37PM
If you haven't yet done one DVD on DVD Studio Pro, then I would suggest you practice.

I would not be thinking of turning my first DVD in a replication project. You need to learn how to check out the end product well, before investing big money into replication.

You need to learn the tricks that make a good looking DVD and what the replicator needs for successfully mastering.

1- Should I compress the whole timeline (60 minutes) as one self contained movie with chapter markers and then compress in Compressor or should I compress individual movies for each song and build it with stories in dvd sp?

You should export the entire movie with Chapter markers, if you are going to use Stories in DVD Studio. Compressor will process the output to MPEG-2 and .ac3 dolby audio along with the markers.

2- I capture the footage thru firewire. Will i benefit (image quality) on recapturing the edit in uncompress 10 bit for color correcting and also for compressing to dvd?

Any format done in DV is digital. If you choose to use uncompressed 10 bit, then that is analog.
It matters most what format you shot with. Was it DV?- then you can not make it any better.

3- What is the best way to create a Master DVD for duplication? Where can I read more about a Glass master and will this be the best quality?

DVD Studio Pro can create the proper files to replicate if you design the DVD correctly and develop the assets correctly. If you have not used DVDSP then I suggest you get the Apple Pro Training Bookgrinning smileyVD Studio Pro 4.2 by Peachpit press.

4- Given the nature of the filming and the cameras used I want the final delivery to maintain as much quality as possib

You need to start thinking about the delivery method when shooting. if you shot on DV the that is the best you can do, Copying files will not degrade the clips as they are digital. Copying analog files will give a generation loss. That is why we import all video assets into a computer where they are digital. Any DV-DVCAM, or P2 camera and most of the newSony cameras are pure digital.
Re: my 1st DVD!!
May 20, 2008 07:22PM
John

Thanks a lot for taking the time to answer my questions. Appreciate the input.

I have done quite a few dvd's on dvdsp, but normally they are 3 to 30 minutes long, and just wanted to make sure I am not going at it the wrong way with a longer program.

I have read that compressing long format has its limitations and want to be sure that I address it the right way, meaning assembling the whole show with individual 2 to 3 minute long clips or just compressing the whole 60 minutes, and still wonder what is the best way to go about this.

It was shot on miniDV on purpose, because I personally like the look and think that at the end the product will stand the test of time, because the energy of this show went beyond the look, it has a good vibe to it. But again after shooting, just wanted to make sure that I will get the best out a format that I and my client like a lot.

thanks again for the input.
Here is a teaser of the SHOW

J. García
preview for the show
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics