how many hours of video on DVD5

Posted by danieltobonr 
how many hours of video on DVD5
June 07, 2009 03:44PM
Hello. I have a big series of videos of a conferences... 26 videos between 1 and 2 hours each... I have some of then on DVDs, other in DV...

I would like to put a lot of them on DVDs, as collection or something like that... I know i can use dvd studio pro, with the encode setting in 1.0 to get the highest compression of video... but i´m not sure if it compress audio too... i would like to compress video, but not audio... because its about a conferences or speech of what the videos are... in what format should I compress the videos to fit most of then in two o three DVD5 or DVD of 4.3GB... I have use DVxDVD to get the videos out of the DVDs but I don`t know in what format I have to capture them now.... I used to do it on DV... but it takes larger file size?

thanks...
Re: how many hours of video on DVD5
June 29, 2009 05:06PM
I am not sure I follow completely, but a DVD5 can hold a huge amount of video if you compress it enough, or if you use MPEG1, or half D1. What you should also do is compress the audio to AC3 - it is about a tenth of the file size of AIFF or PCM audio, and yet sounds pretty much the same. Aim for a bitrate of 192 if you want this in stereo.

Have a look for a bitrate calculator, too - this will help you understand the relationship between file size and disc space. Remember, the more you compress the footage the worse it can look. If you want to get a decent visual image, use half D1 or MPEG1 (I prefer the former) which will use a much smaller file size for a pretty decent visual quality. You may need to use a compressor such as Bitvice in order to achieve Half D1, of course.

As a guide, if you use MPEG1 you can get about 5.5 hours onto a DVD5 with AC3 audio at 192kbps. Remember though that MPEG1 is not much better than VHS. Half D1 will be about the same, but slightly less.
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics