DVDstudio Pro Subtitle font size

Posted by fulham 
DVDstudio Pro Subtitle font size
October 02, 2009 12:53AM
Hi,
This is my first posting on this forum. So, I am sorry if I have posted on a wrong area.
My quick question is with DVDSP, how can I choose a font between size 24 and 36 for subtitling. There seems to be no other sizes available in between.
I find 24 to be a bit too small and 36 a bit too big.
Is there a solution to this?
Thanks in advance.
Re: DVDstudio Pro Subtitle font size
October 02, 2009 10:10AM
Not sure, as i hate the text based STL quality and the internal DVD SP subs.
(i always render bitmaps and use graphic based STL)

In an STL file, you can set the fontsize.
I believe that in Subbits (download from my site, the free demo will do just fine) you can set the fontsize, otherwise use it to create an example STL and set the fontsize manually.
DVD SP probably will obey that.
See the manual for other tricks you can do with STL.

hth,

Bouke
www.videotoolshed.com
October 02, 2009 10:20AM
If you only want to get to control the font size, all you have to do is double click in the subtitle row for the track in DVDSP to get the caret on the screen, and then type your text. When done, double click the text so that it gets a blue highlight, and then press and hold the command (Apple) key and tap 'T' on your keyboard. The font controller appears, use the size slider on that to get the font to where you want it to be.

Of course, there are dozens of reasons why you shouldn't even use the DVDSP subtitle system if you have got anything relatively extensive to add there (more than three words?).... always always use an external editor of some description (even a text editor is better) as you will get so much more control if you need to change things at a later stage.

If you do extensive subtitles inside DVDSP and need to change them, you'll wish you hadn't started!
October 03, 2009 04:32AM
Hal speaks words of wisdome!
(Got the T-shirt years and years ago, that's why made Subbits..)

Bouke
www.videotoolshed.com
October 03, 2009 08:04AM
Hal MacLean Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you only want to get to control the font size,
> all you have to do is double click in the subtitle
> row for the track in DVDSP to get the caret on the
> screen, and then type your text. When done, double
> click the text so that it gets a blue highlight,
> and then press and hold the command (Apple) key
> and tap 'T' on your keyboard. The font controller
> appears, use the size slider on that to get the
> font to where you want it to be.
>
> Of course, there are dozens of reasons why you
> shouldn't even use the DVDSP subtitle system if
> you have got anything relatively extensive to add
> there (more than three words?).... always always
> use an external editor of some description (even a
> text editor is better) as you will get so much
> more control if you need to change things at a
> later stage.
>
> If you do extensive subtitles inside DVDSP and
> need to change them, you'll wish you hadn't
> started
Thanks-both Bouke and Hall for valuable suggestions above.
To tell you the truth, I use windows based subtitle workshop (I am newly coverted MAC person) for rendering the subtitles and I save them in stl format. But I don't know if that software lets me tweak the font size or not.
Once imported into DVDSP, I try to adjust the font size and face the problem outlined above.
I just wondered if there is way to tweak DVDSP somehow, so that the font size ranges can be increased. But I doubt that!
I will try subbits and see if it solves my problem.
BTW Bouke, what do mean by setting the font size manually? Can you please explain it a bit further?
One more slightly irrelevant question here; while I am editing subtitles on the viewer, is there a way to make the subtitle on the time line to always be the same as one being edited on the viewer? Otherwise what normally happens is one may move several subtitles forward or backward and if the timing also needs to be edited, one has to fumble for finding the that is edited.
Thanks
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics