layered menu- can't see background and dropzones

Posted by btyrrell 
layered menu- can't see background and dropzones
August 21, 2006 02:00PM
I've created layered menus in DVD Studio Pro 3.0, & everything looks great on the simulator, but when I burn the DVD-R & play it, the background and dropzones are gone.
All that you can see is the activated button and the overlay layer behind it.

I couldn't find anything in searching the support site, nor previous posts.

Any ideas?
Re: layered menu- can't see background and dropzones
August 21, 2006 02:19PM
Hello, Btyrrel.
I don't see layered menus and drop zones as something you use together.
In fact, layered menus and even customer overlay maps are things you use when you want to bypass DVD Studio Pro's (quite understandably) simple design capabilities and want to go with the flexibility a specialized tool like Photoshop (for layered menus) or Motion/After Effects (motion menus with custom overlays) can offer.
In the case of layered menus, you control in DVD SP which layers are on all the time (acting as background or even foreground), and then which ones turn on or off for each button state. If you want what DVD SP Pro calls a Drop Zone (an image of a certain size in the background) just place the image you want, with the size you want, in the original PSD file and make sure you include that layer among the ones that are on all the times, regardless of button state. You don't need or want to create a drop zone for that.
solved: Re: layered menu- can't see background and dropzones
August 22, 2006 11:39AM
Thanks Adolfo, I'm was just getting lazy as I had the dropzone there first & decided to go with a layered menu for my highlighted buttons.
I solved the problem by deleting a layer in the PSD that was not visible and then it worked. Is there a glitch about invisible layers that I should know about? I don't really want to experiment as each time it means a ruined DVD-R.
Re: solved: Re: layered menu- can't see background and dropzones
August 22, 2006 04:31PM
"I don't really want to experiment as each time it means a ruined DVD-R".

That's the opposite from the attitude we want smiling smiley
You learn by experimenting! And seriously, at $1 a disc or less.... it's a pretty cheap way of learning. You have no idea how many mistakes I made before.... making a bit less mistakes.

Also, you don't need to burn the project until you are positive (if you really want to avoid the $1 smiling smiley) You can just build it to the hard drive and test it with the Apple DVD Player.

Adolfo Rozenfeld
Buenos Aires - Argentina
www.adolforozenfeld.com
Re: layered menu- can't see background and dropzones
August 22, 2006 05:11PM
...or burn your tests to RW disks.

bob rice
frameworx media
Re: solved: Re: layered menu- can't see background and dropzones
August 23, 2006 12:45AM
> That's the opposite from the attitude we want smiling smiley
> You learn by experimenting! And seriously, at $1 a
> disc or less.... it's a pretty cheap way of
> learning.

or (after trying to look it up) you can ask the learned masses...

?A smart man learns from his own mistakes.
A wise man learns from the mistakes of others.?

Thank you for the advice, I didn't think about writing it to the hard drive. I will definitely use that in the future.
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics