scripting help?

Posted by Gregory O'Toole 
scripting help?
September 11, 2006 05:44PM
hello everyone!
my producer wants a "scene slection submenu" which allows viewers to watch the movie one scene at a time, meaning that if they went to scene 2 from tjhe submenu, at the end of scene two it would bump back to the submenu, and not continue to play into scene 3.
the only way i can think of doing this is have the entire movie on one track, and then the movie split into individual scenes on individual tracks. is there anyway to have only one copy of the movie on the disk using scripts that execute "if..then" commands at chapter markers?
thanks!
greg
Re: scripting help?
September 12, 2006 03:09AM
You can do this without a single line of code.
DVD SP has this feature called "Stories".
A "Story" is a group of markers from a track, re-arranged in the order you want, without duplicating media. The main use for this would be having two versions of a track without duplicating media (you could have, say, a standard edit of a movie and the director's cut).

One thing about stories: they play the markers in the order you want and then they are over when they reach the last marker.

At the same time, nothing prevents you from creating stories with only one marker on them.
So, you create your track with all the needed markers. And then you create stories with only one marker inside. They play the scene and then they perform the end jump (which could be the same or different than the main track)
That's all.

Adolfo Rozenfeld
Buenos Aires - Argentina
www.adolforozenfeld.com
September 12, 2006 10:44AM
adlolfo
thanks for the reply. yesterday i wrote a few simple scripts that activated at chapter markers and accomplished what i wanted. however, it meant that during the "play-all" playback the movie had minor pauses when transitioning between two chapters, bc the script needed to run; even to know to keep playing.
i am about to look into your stories suggestion - but could you tell me if i will run into the same problem?
thanks!
greg
September 12, 2006 10:52AM
The stories shouldn't interfere at all with playback of the regular/full track.
The Play all script for a series of tracks will obviously cause some pauses as the head jumps from track to track, all stored in different locations (can be minimized a bit by putting the tracks closer together in VTS editing). Stories are not actual tracks, so the full track should play without pauses or delays.

Adolfo Rozenfeld
Buenos Aires - Argentina
www.adolforozenfeld.com
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics