Kinda off topic...untimely DVD player Deaths

Posted by paul kelleher 
Kinda off topic...untimely DVD player Deaths
October 23, 2006 02:55PM
Hey all-

So does anyone know why DVD players just stop reading- or they start freezing and cleaning kinda helps- for a minute- than I just go buy a new one?

Is it just cheap dvd players or is it a dirty dvd infecting the player issue or...? Is there a fix?

I have 3 players in the garage that kinda read sometimes...

Thanks

Paul
Re: Kinda off topic...untimely DVD player Deaths
October 24, 2006 04:00PM
Hey paul kelleher,

from my experiences and from what i have caught on from Panasonic and Toshiba engineers is:

on of the most commom reasons disc players stop working is the death of the diode laser.
this death can happen for many reasons:
faulty laser, a sudden jolt or the player being dropped, thus the head becomes unaligned, too much usage, etc.

remember, the laser is just that, a high intensity concentrated light. this has to be produced somewhow, so after a while, the intensity lessens, therefore the disc cannot be read or even more common, there is continuos problems reading Layer 1.

i guess it also has to do with the actual diode parts. where lower quality parts are more suceptible to failure and higher end parts go the distance.

i go through about an average of 3 players a year at my facility (across the board as far as the quality of the players) and i just change out the laser head and that seems to solve playback issues, of course, short of actual mechanical problems with the tray or the track of the tray.
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics