DLT Drive Setup

Posted by Junglejim 
DLT Drive Setup
October 23, 2006 09:19PM
Trying to troubleshoot a SCSI DLT tape drive for formatting through DVDSP 4. I'm going in on the channel 0 of an ATTO dual channel Ultra 3 host adapter (with a RAID array on channel 1) and have updated the firmware & SCSI drivers, as well as checked my termination and SCSI addresses but still the only options for output devices in the Formating menu are the Superdrive and the Hard Drive. Anyone know of a good troubleshooting guide for Mac OSX & SCSI?

G5 DP 2GHz
OSX 10.4.7
DVDSP 4
ATTO Express PCI Pro UL3D-66
HP Storageworks DLT VS80

Thanks much,
-Jim
Re: DLT Drive Setup
October 24, 2006 03:23PM
Hey Junglejim,

presuming that all DLT machines will work with DVDSP (i have only used Quantum 4000 Machines)...

if you have installed the ATTO Configuration Tool, Downloadable here
(you have to be a registered user), then it's as easy as clicking on Atto Configuration application (located in Root Drive > Applications) and clicking on the Drop down "hosts" > "localhost" and finding your "ExpressPCI UL3D" card. if you click on the drop down for your card, you will see 2 options, channels 2 and 1. if you dont see any of this, you might have to either reseat the card or set another SCSI channel on your DLT machine (i love to use 5). click on any of the channels and what are your NVRAM configurations?

from there, i can help you some more.
October 25, 2006 03:11PM
Mikey,
thanks in advance for your help with this. Following are the NVRAM settings for the ATTO Card, FYI the SCSI channel for the DLT drive is 5:

COMMON NVRAM CONFIGURATIONS

Controller ID: 7
Termination: Auto
Selection Timeout (ms): 250
PCI Burst Rate (bytes): 512
Wide IDs: Enabled
Fallback Sync Rate (MB/s): 40 (20)

SCSI TARGET NVRAM CONFIGURATION

Specified Target: 0
LUNs: 0 to 7
Allow Disconnect: Enabled
Tag Command Queuing: Enabled
Sync Enabled for this ID: Enabled
Sync Offset: 62
Sync Rate (MB/s): 160 DT

FYI I tried setting the Specifed Target to "5" and committed to the changed and re-booted, but after the re-boot it still came up as "0" in the ATTO configuration tool. As I mentioned before this is on Channel one of the card, Channel 2 has a 4 disk RAID array that has worked flawlessly for weeks.
October 25, 2006 04:28PM
Hey junglejim,

here is my set up. it will be 2 images, 1 is the set up for the channel BUS and the second for the device itself.

if this doesnt help you configure your DLT, then i STRONGLY recommend you contact ATTO, a great bunch of guys that will not get off the phone with you until you figure out your problem! they even do follow up calls to make sure everything is working right.

the only drawback for me is that they are on the east coast sad smiley

to me it looks like the "sync rate" is set incorrectly.
October 27, 2006 01:01PM
Got it up and running. Thanks so much for your help.

Best,
-Jim
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics