Mpeg to VOB

Posted by vicwrite 
Mpeg to VOB
October 24, 2006 11:44AM
Mpeg files look good, but when built to VOB the brightness increases, how can I pevent this?
Re: Mpeg to VOB
October 24, 2006 02:57PM
Hey vicwrite

you can prevent this several ways, depending on what application you are using to encode your *.m2v files.

remember, the *.VOB is just the multiplexed version of your audio and video (combined). so there really is no more transcoding or encoding of the file. it essentially just marries both audio, video and subtitle files (if there are any).

you say your luminance (brightness) in your *.VOB increases. Does this mean on your final, burnt disc that you are watching on your set top DVD player? also, you say that the mpeg files looks good. where, in DVDSP's canvas/simulator?

there is a color smapling change in the encoded mpeg file (depending on which codec your originating video was edited with).

if you can provide me with the above information, i can definitely help you.

it might be a simple, adjust your lumimnance (brightness) in the encode process (assuming you are using compressor).
October 24, 2006 05:13PM
You didn't mention if you are watching the MPEG on the same screen as the VOB. If not, you can expect differences. Be sure to check your before and after results on the same monitor before making other kinds of adjustments.

bob rice
frameworx media
October 24, 2006 05:21PM
Thanks very much for your help

I exported the MPEG2 by opening compressor in final cut pro 5, straight off
the timeline, with maximum quality compression - up to 8.2 Mbits
Imported Mpeg to DVDStudio Pro, asset looked as expected in simulator pane.

Built DVD, then emulated VOB files before formatting disc on DVD player. The
film was considerably brighter (which I mind only because it makes the
pictures look blander) after building.

I had the Mpeg on one pane opened in Quicktime Player and the Built Vob
files on another pane on the same monitor in DVD player, and the difference
was quite clear.

The DVD also had a much higher luminance on the domestic DVD player, after I
had burned it.

I have now tried re encoding with compressor using a filter brightness -2
and contrast +1 - the MPEG looks dark, but the VOB files look better.

I take your point about the VOB conversion not actually altering much, but
the effect is noticeable, and would look odd without some compensation..

What kind of settings for compressor would you recommend? I suppose
compression is a bit of an art... (thanks again for your time)
October 24, 2006 05:31PM
Hey vicwrite,

it's kind of hard to recommend a compressor setting since i cant see the video file.

just like you mentioned in the last sentence of your post, compression is an art, and it's really difficult for settings to work universally, since all sequences are not created equally. there are way to many variables to take into account before you actually encode a file for DVD.

with that being said, fortunately, you already started massaging the luminance levels in compressor. i saiy, keep doing it until you are satisfied! quality and color are subjective believe it or not (unless you have illegal SMPTE color confused smiley)

what looks good to me, might not to you and vice-versa!

remember, you want to make the *.VOB look acceptable, not the *.m2v. it will be a lengthy process, but you will learn a whole bunch!

sorry i couldnt give you a specific setting sad smiley
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics