Insufficient disc space for encoding

Posted by julesbowman 
Insufficient disc space for encoding
October 24, 2006 02:27PM
Hi all,

so, i've been using the FCP suite for about 18 months and DVD Studio Pro for the same length of time, and have managed to do every project i've tried.

Now, i am repeatedly getting an error:

Insifficient disc space for encoding. Please free up disc space on your encoding target drive.

Now, in preferences it says that the encoding target drive (if i'm looking at the correct bit - second from the right in the list of preferences options) is a folder on my HD, which currently has 42 gigs available. The project is only 2.8 GB, so even doubling that i believe it should be fine.

I'm using the same DVD-Rs as ever (although i'm not sure it would even be them), and i'm now stumped.

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance.

Jules
Re: Insufficient disc space for encoding
October 24, 2006 02:51PM
Hey julesbowman,

are you encoding straight out of FCP, are you using DVD SP's encoder or are you using compressor to encode your QT files?

it sounds like it has nothing to due with your DVD discs, but with the digital files themselves.

i can definetly help you on this , but need a little more info:
-what preferences are you referring to (as in what application)
-is your video SD or HD
-and are you encoding straight from FCP or are you using QT files created in FCP to encode
October 24, 2006 03:08PM
Hi Mikey, thanks for the offer.

Ok, I have exported self contained QT files of completed projects from FCP. I have imported these into DVD SP, created my menu, added music, a background graphic, etc. Now what i usually do at this point is hit BURN. Then it does it's sweet little business. But this time after a short while it started telling me what i put above (and has never done this before).

I've just shut everything down and rebooted the mac (that old chestnut smiling smiley and this time when i opened the file, just because i didn't know what else to do, i hit Build/Format (have never used this before but it said it would burn at the end). At the moment it is 17% complete, so still lots of time to go wrong.

I have to admit i obviously underuse DVD SP, but i use it to create menu screens that will lead to one or more projects, and till now have had no bother.

I hope this answers your questions. If the current burn attempt works i will let you know, but i'm still curious as to why it didn't work the other way.

Oh, the only other thing, is that i opened an old file initially, where all the QT assets were missing because i had moved them. I deleted these and replaced them with new ones, then deleted reference to them from the assets list. Would this have caused this gremlin to rear it's little smirk?

Ta.

Jules
October 24, 2006 03:39PM
hey julesbowman

ok, i have ALWAYS suggested against using the encoder withing DVDSP (it's my thing, so sue me tongue sticking out smiley).

you did everything i would with the excpetion of sending your created Self-Contained *.mov's into compressor and not DVDSP.
Why? because compressor gives you a lot more control over how you encode the file (although in inexperienced hads, all the fance settings can be dangerous).

this is what i would do.

create a self-contained *.mov from FCP.

import that file into compressor. now depending on the duration of the video (if it is under 90 minutes) then it is a pretty safe bet to go with the preset already provided from apple of 90 min BEST quality. now depending on the aspect ratio of yoru project, choose accordingly (there is only 16:9 or 4:3). finally, select "ALL" for the files to be encoded (assuming that you have compressor v2 or higher.

once this is done, import your newly created elementary stream files into DVD SP.

author and create the menus as you normaly would.

Voila, you just cut down on compatibilty problems with DVDSP and dramitically reduced computing power, computer lag and the time you needed to build (multiplex) your project.

i would first see how long it takes you to finish the "Build/Format" that you are currently on, if that works, GREAT!
when you get some spare time, try my method and compare the time it took you to do it and the quality of both projects.
October 24, 2006 03:59PM
Thanks loads Mikey.

To be honest this Build/Format method is taking forever (still only 30%) and much longer than Burn.

I'm going to print this thread off and give your version a go and see what's what. I've pretty much bumbled through using DVD SP just to be able to output on DVD with menus etc (i work for councils and charities and with young people, so even the basic things i do are beyond the call of duty smiling smiley, but i'm always happy to learn how to improve my work practices.

Thanks again, appreciate the time and input.

Jules
DH
October 24, 2006 04:48PM
Hi all.

I just read this thread.

From what I read from another thread on this forum, you should save your FCP (Final Cut Pro) movie as a reference movie. Then, launch Compressor and open the reference movie using Compressor. You should not export the movie into Compressor from FCP, as that adds another software layer that will slow down the encoding process.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Take care.

-DH
October 24, 2006 05:17PM
Hey DH,

all you say is true.

however, i have to say that in my experiences, using compressor to encode a reference movie comes with its own problems.

first, we have to know the difference between a self-contained movie and a reference movie (besides the obvious space issue).

a self-conatined movie exported from your FCP is media independent, having every frame of your edited video and any or all effects added, therefore easily transferrable to other computers, but not just that, when using with compressor, you have a stand alone file that does not reference anything other drive, file, etc.

a reference movie is just that, a file that references the raw (unedited) video from the drives the live on. any effect in your sequence is just referenced and not rendered out.

of course both methods have pros and cons. however, i personally feel that the self-contained *.mov has more of the pros that i am looking for (saves overall time, less problems in compressor, if my drive fails where i have my raw video, i am still ok). i could live with the file size increase and the time it takes to create the QT file.

also, i would never recommend (i am not implying/stating that you did) to encode directly from FCP to compressor for the obvious reason that FCP would lock up and you couldnt continue to work. also, like you suggested DH, your whole workstation is slowed down.
it just makes more sense to take the extra time to export a SC QT file and then import into compressor. then you can open up FCP and keep working, while you are encoding with little or no problems.

of course, all of the above statements are my opinions and workslows i use on a daily basis.
DH
October 25, 2006 12:19PM
Hi all.

Mikey, you make good sense. I didn't think of it in that way. If the only interaction that Compressor has is to grab a file from disk, then that should be the fastest way to process a movie within Compressor. However, the only setback is the added time to create the self contained movie.

Another setback would be, if you discover that you made a mistake in your movie, and you had to re-edit something. Then, you would have to re-make the self-contained movie and then open it with Compressor. In this regard, a reference movie would perhaps be a little more forgiving.

In the last project on which I worked, I tried to make a reference movie. However, its size was about the same size as a self-contained movie. All of my transitions were fully rendered before I made the reference movie. Go figure.

Take care.

-DH
October 26, 2006 12:14PM
i use FCP Studio 5... on dual 2 G5.

I export a 60-minute .mov from FCP... plus separate 30-second .movs for menues, copyright, and teaser/promos.

Takes DSP about 90-120 minutes to 'encode' and 'build'.

My DSP 'encodes' to the same drive as each original file. If I use files from multiple drives, DSP encodes each to the MPEG folder at the root level of each file in question.

If you are "reusing" a file from a previous project, check the MPEG folder at the same root level as that file, and use the version in the MPEG folder in your project to save re-enoding time.

DSP creates a VIDEOTS folder where I tell it to in the "Build" oepration, but it always encodes to the root folder of each file in the project, whether that file is in use or not.

Maybe you have files in your project on multiple drives, and you are not checking available space on all pertinent drives? Or Media Manager is confused if the DSP project is "reused" from a previous project, or if filenames are the same on multiple drives...?
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics