How to activate subtitles through a menu.

Posted by Mat Dee 
How to activate subtitles through a menu.
February 20, 2007 02:59AM
I have a submenu where I have three buttons "French subtitles On", "French subtitles Off", and "Return to main menu".

How do I target the Subtitles On/Off buttons so that when I press one of them, then "Return to main menu", and then the "Play Movie" button in the Main menu, the movie will play with/without the French subtitles?

Mat.

P.S. I have imported the French subtitles (*.stl) into Stream 1 in the track with my movie (they work fine).
Re: How to activate subtitles through a menu.
February 23, 2007 12:33AM
Select the French subtitles on button, and in the inspector you will have a drop-down menu to set subtitle stream. Set it to #1 with the "view" checkbox enabled.
The select the subtitles off button and set it also to #1 but with the "view" checkbox disabled.

Now, really professional DVDs work in an intelligent way about this. What I mean is, people expect the currently selected option to be highlighted (instead of the first button being picked regardless of current subtitle state). How do you this? Deselect any buttons so that the menu as a whole becomes active. Then in the inspector, set Highlight Condition to Subtitle. Cool, isn't it?

Adolfo Rozenfeld
Buenos Aires - Argentina
www.adolforozenfeld.com
February 23, 2007 07:52AM
Thanks Adolfo, I will try this out. M.
February 23, 2007 11:49PM
I have a follow up question.

I have a disk with two films. One of them is subtitled, the other is not. I would love to have radio buttons on the main menu to

a) indicate which film is subtitled (I'd put them near the title)
b) allow the user to activate/deactivate subtitles without using a submenu or the button on their remote.

Is this possible?

Thank you,

Mike
February 23, 2007 11:57PM
a) Is not really an interactive need, since the subtitled status of the two movies won't change smiling smiley
You don't need a button. You just need to add any kind of visual information that says it's subtitled.

b) of course, you just create two more buttons: one for for subtitles on and ther other for subtitles off. You set the subtitle steams in the inspector, as explained. The only drawback is: When you mix diferent kind of selections in one menu (movie, subtitles, etc), you loose the ability to use the "intelligent" automatic button selection I described (it can only work when you have a menu for subtitles, or a menu for audio language).

Adolfo Rozenfeld
Buenos Aires - Argentina
www.adolforozenfeld.com
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics