NTSC to PAL-M - Conversion for two hour DVD

Posted by Drew W 
NTSC to PAL-M - Conversion for two hour DVD
June 05, 2007 08:52AM
I'm trying to burn a two-hour DVD for a client in Brazil, which adopts the PAL-M standard, which differs from the European PAL.

In Compressor, only the QT Movie option allows you to tweak the variables within the PAL settings to PAL-M, which makes it 29.97 instead of 25, etc.. All this is fine, except the file is 21 GB.

So when I compress to MPEG2 for DVD, do I use NTSC, since the MPEG option does not allow me to tweak the PAL settings to match those of PAL-M? And once I've imported the file into DVDSP, do I use the NTSC or PAL settings?

My gut tells me that as long as the initial file is PAL-M, then I should use the NTSC settings at the next two steps, since the Brazilian PAL-M so closely mirrors NTSC in dimensions.

My concern is that I have no way to test it, since I'm in the states, and don't have any PAL equipment.

Thanks for any help, and sorry for the long post!
Re: NTSC to PAL-M - Conversion for two hour DVD
April 15, 2008 12:30PM
As far as I know SD-DVDs only come in NTSC 480i and PAL 576i

PAL-M is a broadcast standard and not (to my knowledge) part of the DVD video standard.

Likewise there is no such thing as a SECAM DVD

I would suspect that his DVD player either plays NTSC and/or Standard PAL and the TV that he uses is a multiformat one like the ones we have in Europe and Asia.

Try the NTSC DVD settings for encoding and check it on your DVD player/TV.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics