Unrecognized Frame Rate (23.98)

Posted by Jackson 
Unrecognized Frame Rate (23.98)
January 28, 2008 05:53PM
DVDSP is mis interpreting the frame rate on mu video asset. The asset was encoded into MPEG-2 in Compressor at a frame rate of 23.98. If I open the asset in the QuickTime player the Movie Inspector reports that it is indeed a 23.98 asset. When imported into DVDSP the asset inspector reports the file as a 29.97 NDF asset. What gives?

According to the DVDSP Manual, DVDSP should recognize the 23.98 asset and treat it accordingly. It does not. If I step through the project in QT player, it indeed has 24 frames per second, conversely as I step through the asset in the timeline in DVDSP I can identify every 5th frame is duplicated (pull-down).

Any thoughts?

- Jackson

2 x Dual 3.0GHz Intel MacPro
FCS 2 (6.0.2)

FCP project:
Uncompressed 4:2:2 10-bit 1080 PsF 23.98 project
Re: Unrecognized Frame Rate (23.98)
January 29, 2008 07:35PM
Don't worry. DVD SP reports it as 29.97 fps, but it will add the proper pull-down flags so progressive-scan players remove the extra frames during playback.

Adolfo Rozenfeld
Buenos Aires - Argentina
www.adolforozenfeld.com
January 29, 2008 09:31PM
Ah ha! Well that certainly makes sense. So, DVDSP Adds the extra frames to the video file and flags them, then progressive scan dvd players remove the flagged frames?

So the file size is smaller because it is a true 24 fps and DVDSP adds the pulldown on the fly?

I think this is making sense.

Thanks Adolfo.
January 29, 2008 09:56PM
Correct.
However, this requires pre-encoded MPEG-2 assets. If you bring a 23.976 fps Quicktime file, DVD SP will then encode it as 29.97.

Adolfo Rozenfeld
Buenos Aires - Argentina
www.adolforozenfeld.com
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics