DVD Angles requires Same GOP HELP

Posted by rfleisch 
DVD Angles requires Same GOP HELP
May 28, 2008 10:41AM
Hello from South Florida,
I am adding ANGLES to a video stream in iDVD Pro. In order to make it work all angles/video streams have to have the same GOP. In order to get all of the angles/video streams to have the same GOP as the main video stream I have to manually add a compression marker at every cut in the main video timeline. Since the main timeline is a three camera mix there are SEVERAL cuts in the main timeline. It is a real pain in the Axxxxx to go to every cut and and the compression marker.
My question is... drum roll....
It there a FAST way to put a compression marker at EVERY cut in a timeline???

regards,
Ray fleischmann
rfleisch@mac.com
Re: DVD Angles requires Same GOP HELP
May 28, 2008 10:53AM
> It there a FAST way to put a compression marker at EVERY cut in a timeline???

It automatically does it for you if you export to Compressor straight off the timeline. Alternatively, if you're running an Intel, and want faster encoding speeds, export a self-contained Quicktime with either DVD SP markers or Compression markers.

www.strypesinpost.com
May 28, 2008 03:04PM
Thanks for taking the time to reply but it does NOT do that for me. It MAY be doing it for the MAIN timeline/video stream but it is NOT doing it for the other three. When I first did this and I dragged the second stream into the iDVD TRACKS/V2 timeline it complained that the GOP did NOT match the V1 stream and did I want to add it anyway. When I clicked YES it ONLY added to V2 the same amount up to the FIRST cut in the V1 stream. After I went back to the FCP timeline and MANUALLY added the compression marker at EVER cut and then sent the THREE timelines through compressor again that is when iDVD NO LONGER complained and created the THREE alternate angles. I can't be the only one making use of alternate angles on my DVD. Surely Apple has some hidden three finger key sequence that will do this Auto-Magically. :-)
Regards,
-Ray Fleischmann
May 28, 2008 04:45PM
Hmm... I haven't done multi-angle DVDs before. Though setting Compression Markers/DVDSP markers seem to indicate all edit points on the clip. Try DVDSP?

www.strypesinpost.com
May 28, 2008 07:01PM
I know I keep saying iDVD but it really is DVDSP v4.1.2 And I know there is a newer version out but I can't afford to upgrade right now:-(

-Ray F.
May 29, 2008 10:03AM
>It automatically does it for you if you export to Compressor straight off the timeline. Alternatively,
>if you're running an Intel, and want faster encoding speeds, export a self-contained Quicktime
>with either DVD SP markers or Compression markers.

Hmm... I take that back. Multi angle streams seem to require a different behavior. Here's some documentation.

[discussions.apple.com]

www.strypesinpost.com
May 29, 2008 10:54AM
Hey, thanks for taking the time to help me. I will work with that info this week end.
Regards,
-Ray F.
June 01, 2008 04:33PM
What you could try is simply exporting from FCP as a QT file, then re-importing to FCP and you should have a single clip with no cuts. Export that through compressor and you won't have to add the compression markers.
June 01, 2008 04:40PM
Hal,
Thanks, that is a GREAT idea. I guess that compressor won't get too confused looking at one long clip with NO markers at the cut points. The other two angles are just that, The whole scene from start to finish with no cuts.
If I do get carried away with too many camera cuts in the main stream I will do this.

Thanks ever so much.
Regards,
-Ray Fleischmann
June 01, 2008 04:43PM
Heh... no problem... hope it works for you!
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics