Need to Pause During Movie Presentation...

Posted by kenshawfilms 
Need to Pause During Movie Presentation...
August 20, 2008 10:11PM
I just had a client who wants me to create a DVD that pauses or freezes on certain parts of a movie, (at certain parts during a slide show presentation). Then when the presenter is ready after they have blah, blah, blah, they want to press play again and continue the movie.

I thought this could be done with Chapter markers and/or Slide Show by using the end jump feature but honestly, I am guessing and am clueless.

Was wondering if anyone knows how to do this??
Re: Need to Pause During Movie Presentation...
August 21, 2008 11:41AM
This question has come up before. Stock Answer - Can Not do this in the current DVD Specification.

Even if there was a way to script the remote action to use a buton to stop the playback, there is no way to know the timeout wait for resume playing. These are just not doable in Red laser DVD's.

You can, however author the DVD with input from the presenter to play up to a Chapter marker and jump to a list of points (like a chapter menu) where the presenter could then start on another button to continue to play. As long as you can script the presentation , you could match it with standard Stories authoring.
August 23, 2008 01:50PM
Thanks John,

On one point that you mentioned.
By playing up to a chapter marker and then having it jump to a list, this is done with Stories authoring as you mentioned?

So, if I create chapter markers which I have done - I would then go into Stories authoring (which I have never attempted) and create a slide from the actual presentation and have that slide in a "slide show" on pause with no time duration.

There will be certain areas that the presenter wants to pause so this could be planned out.
Hmmm, I'll give it a try.

Thanks for your input.
August 23, 2008 06:58PM
I don't know how you could "jump" to a slide in the slide show presentation. You might consider using a script that would jump to a different menu after the end jump from a Chapter mark. Each menu could be a background picture and a Next Play Button.

Never having done this, i can't tell you that it would really work, but it's a thought. Also don't know how to script this navigation.
August 23, 2008 10:21PM
Calling all genuises, does anyone out there know how to use scripts to navigate something like this?

In the meantime - John - great idea on the menu background possibility. After several coffee injections on Monday morning, I will give some of this a try.

Thanks again!
August 24, 2008 05:40AM
If the client wants to control the pauses and resume then just tell them to use the Menu Button.

If Track 1 is playing they press Menu and go to a holding Menu. When they are ready to continue just press Menu again and it'll Resume from the exact point they left off!!

Hope that helps if not let me know and I'll help some more,
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics