Returning to a Menu's Loop Point- highlighting Next

Posted by danajstrom 
Returning to a Menu's Loop Point- highlighting Next
August 06, 2009 02:22PM
Hello- any help here would be greatly appreciated! Even if you don't know- please chime in so I don't feel like I'm crazy!
I am trying to author a pretty complicated DVD- things were going swimmingly until it came time to test the disc in a DVD player!

I have built my menus (as I've done for years) with a short transition at the head- just before the loop point. That is to say, the special features page has 2 seconds of the Main Menu background at the head that leads into a fancy transition - I do it like this to get a smooth transition going in to each menu.

I have a menu that is full of 18 short commercial spots. I want the user to be able to select spot X, it plays, and return to the same menu with the same button for spot X "still" highlighted.

I've achieved this by creating a simple short script;

mov GPRM 0, SPRM 8
{Copies the value from SPRM 8 (the highlighted button value) to GPRM 0}
div GPRM 0, 1024
{the Value in GPRM 0 is divided by 1024 (so the value is now 1-18 corresponding to the buttons)}
jump Selection Menu (loop), [GPRM 0]
{Then, jump to the Menu's Loop Point- and highlighting the appropriate button (of 1-18) as designated by the value in GPRM 0}

This works absolutely perfectly in the DVDSP simulator - I've authored my entire disc with this premise and to go back would be to have lost a lot of time! (which I'm running out of!!)

When I burn a DVD, and test it in a player- it does highlight the correct button, but only after playing the entire menu! That is, it doesn't return to the loop point! So after you've played your selected commercial spot, you get a 2 second view of the Main Menu, before it transitions and finally highlights the appropriate button.

My script for highlighting the appropriate button still works- telling it to jump to the loop point is just a check box so I can't figure out what I should be doing instead?!?

Why does DVDSP simulate this correctly if it doesn't work on the final disc? If my scripts are incorrect (I'm relatively novice about scripting) - why does it work in DVDSP in the first place?
Re: Returning to a Menu's Loop Point- highlighting Next
August 21, 2009 02:46PM
I have built my menus (as I've done for years) with a short transition at the head- just before the loop point. That is to say, the special features page has 2 seconds of the Main Menu background at the head that leads into a fancy transition - I do it like this to get a smooth transition going in to each menu.

I have a menu that is full of 18 short commercial spots. I want the user to be able to select spot X, it plays, and return to the same menu with the same button for spot X "still" highlighted.

buy acai berry
August 21, 2009 02:48PM
My script for highlighting the appropriate button still works- telling it to jump to the loop point is just a check box so I can't figure out what I should be doing instead?!?

Why does DVDSP simulate this correctly if it doesn't work on the final disc? If my scripts are incorrect (I'm relatively novice about scripting) - why does it work in DVDSP in the first place?

buy shamwow
August 22, 2009 01:38PM
You could open the Build up in MyDVDEdit and debug the commands. This is quite advanced stuff! but depending of your level you could see what dvdsp is really doing. Even add a command or two to make sure the right highlight is being selected.

fyi - dvdsp often messes up the real programming being created...

Simulator & DVD Player are software apps and not that expensive. Basically they're not adhering to all the specs, plus the project isn't even built yet in the dvdsp Simulator... many hardware players do not operate equally also. It's a fun world out there smiling smiley

Remember MyDVDEdit & TFDVDEdit are software apps too...

Anyway, depending on how many Menus like this you have I would suggest making a duplicated Menu, swap the asset to one without the intro which all your 18 spots Jump to.

Flow: Menu 1 ---> Menu 2 w/intro ---> to Spot x ---> Menu 3 ---> Spot y.

Menu 2 is never accessed again unless going back to Menu 1.

Hope that helps give you options. The other thing to maybe try is a Pre-Script if you coding in Scripts and Jumping or vica versa.
August 24, 2009 01:28PM
Hey that's a great idea!
I haven't used MyDVDEdit in years- can't believe I forgot about it.

I solved the problem anyway- more on that below.

I was trying to avoid duplicating menus... why? I guess I'm just too proud! I like the challenge of being efficient as possible and I like to keep my authoring straight-forward, "no fat" so to speak. I used to use that method all the time and vowed to never use a workaround if I can create a script that does what I need anyway.

What I did end up doing:
It "felt" like the script I was creating was telling it to go to the menu loop point before checking the GPRM to highlight the next button... so I just made a script that included a JumpTo (loop point) for each individual button... it added 18 more lines to my script;

mov GPRM 0, SPRM 8
div GPRM 0, 1024

then basically: if GPRM0 = 1, jump to SelectionMenu, Button 1 (Loop Point)
if GPRM0 = 2, jump to SelectionMenu, Button 2 (Loop Point)

and so on... all the way through the 18 buttons.

I'm paraphrasing my script there since I don't have it in front of me.
It's a work around for sure, but I'm kind of proud that I was still able to stay away from making duplicate menus.
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics