SD DVD varying quality on different screens

Posted by marcel37 
SD DVD varying quality on different screens
February 08, 2010 03:36AM
Hi,

I made an SD DVD of all of my projects. For simplicity's sake, and to save time, I did it in iDVD7 on Professional Quality, putting all original Quicktime Exports into it (Among these was a project shot on HDV, XDCAM, DVCAM.) I also did tests in DVD Studio Pro.

The project plays and looks great on my 23" Apple Cinema Display and my Samsung 1080i flatscreen with OPPO Blueray player. However, I tried it on my friend's Vizio 60" flatscreen with Toshiba DVD player and the HDV and XDCAM didn't look as well. I got weird pixelization/digital blotches in the dark areas of the frame. Playing it on the same TV using a PS3 gave better outcome, though some pixelization in dark areas. All players have the upres feature on them.

Thinking it might be my encoding, I did various other tests on the the HDV ad XDCAM footage with iDVD and DVD Studio Pro: down conversion with and without compression, various compressors, etc. I had mixed outcomes.

An editor friend proposed that some flatscreens are not calibrated correctly the way most screens are at production companies and, generally, in the industry.

THE QUESTION: What makes the HDV and XDCAM footage on my SD DVD look good on some screens/players and bad on others?

Any ideas and input are welcome. The tech side isn't my foray, so I am very curious in seeing what people think. If anyone can propose other encoding settings for more consistent quality, please let me know.

Thanks,
M
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics