Crummy titles and logo in DVD Studio

Posted by starvideo 
Crummy titles and logo in DVD Studio
February 08, 2010 05:03PM
I created my project in FCP using a pristine logo provided by the client. I did some simple Boris titles (don't turn your noses up -- it was just a phone number and two words). Anyway, I exported using compressor and these were my settings:

DVD - best quality 90 minutes 16:9 - Mpeg 2 with dolby audio.

The video looks okay, in DVD Studio, but the titles and logo are TERRIBLE! They look fine in FCP, but yucky upon compression. Any suggestions for what I could do to improve the look of these?
Re: Crummy titles and logo in DVD Studio
February 13, 2010 04:09AM
What format was the image in? If you used JPEG then expect it to look pants after encoding - the image is already in a lossy format... compressing it to MPEG will not improve things! If you can get an EPS file, or TIFF this is the best start point. TIFF can go right in to DVDSP, but otherwise use Photoshop and export as PICT or TIFF. This will help considerably.

If you composite the logos and titles externally and bring them in to DVDSP as MPEG for the menu then do not add anything else when you get them there. If you do so the entire menu will be re-compressed using the settings in your DVDSP preferences. Typically, you will bring in the asset, set it into a menu and then think you'd like a new shape or something from the templates... this won't be MPEG and when you add it will need to be encoded. DVDSP has to re-do the whole thing, not just the shape. Adding buttons, however, is fine - these don't get encoded as a menu item, but go into the sub-picture stream instead.

--

lafcpug mod
Re: Crummy titles and logo in DVD Studio
February 13, 2010 03:38PM
None of this was used for the menu. It's all part of the FCP movie. The only reason I even brought it into DVD SP was to burn a playable DVD.

The logo was in .psd format. But I created some motion effects with it in Motion. I imported the Motion project into FCP. Everything looked great all down the line UNTIL I get to the Compressor output. The Mpeg 2 file looks like crap in DVD SP.

The titles were created in the Boris app within FCP. They are a little pixelated in FCP, but really bad once Compressor gets ahold of them.
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics