Copy Protection on DVD Studio Pro not working

Posted by Jeanne Rawlings 
Copy Protection on DVD Studio Pro not working
February 15, 2010 10:49PM
Hello,

I am creating a DVD for a client and though I'm enabling "no copy permitted" in the Inspector (and double-checking under the Build/Format tab at the top of DVDSP (DVDStudioPro) and Region/Copyright tab) - it's still allowing me to copy it.

It's weird, because the first time I created the project in DVDSP and checked "Copyright Management" and "No Copy Permitted" and ticked "Format for CSS" it seemed to work. That is, my dvd duplicator booted it out as "Source Drive Error". But when I tried again to be doubly-sure, it successfully made a copy.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Is CSS just something that eventually fails? I totally understand that there are workarounds if people want to make copies, but I've been hired to put the scramble on there to at least deter them.

I've been reading everywhere and cannot figure out what to do. What am I doing wrong?

They need the "copy-protected" copy by Saturday Feb 20. Help.

Jeanne Rawlings
Dustlight Video Productions

www.dustlight.com
o - 530-894-3808
c - 530-966-3504
Re: Copy Protection on DVD Studio Pro not working
February 15, 2010 11:40PM
This is covered in the DVD Studio Pro manual. You can't make a CSS-encrypted disc using DVD-R media. It's not a limitation of the software or anything like that; it's part of the international specification that defines recordable DVD media. There are no workarounds or alternatives.

If you want to create a CSS-encrypted disc ? you don't; see below ? you'll have to go through a replication facility. You can use DVD Studio Pro to make a DLT master (or a hard-drive master if your facility will accept it; more and more will these days, but you have to ask to be sure). The replication facility will then take that DLT and use it to create a glass master, which they'll then use for your production run. This is the only way to manufacture a CSS-encrypted disc.

February 16, 2010 12:18AM
Thank you. I have contacted a replication facility and they are going to use the hard-drive master I've created to manufacture the CSS-encrypted discs. I just thought I could do one by myself. I'm sorry that once again I missed something in the DVD Studio Pro manual. Thanks for your speedy reply.
February 16, 2010 01:01AM
Sorry, I just reread my post and realized it sounded scoldy. I didn't mean "This is covered in the manual, you last wanker." I meant "You can find more, better information than my clumsy summary in the manual, but here's a stab at it."

What's the cost going to be to make your discs? Last time I went through the process we ended up paying about $3 a disc for a run of 800 or 1000 or something like that. I'm curious how that price compares.

February 16, 2010 09:17AM
A 300 minimum-run is coming down to $4.89/each (includes tax, shipping and handling). Without the sales tax, etc, it's $4.28/each. I'm going with Disc Makers, and that price includes box, wrap, and labeling. Thanks for the answer - greatly appreciated.
February 16, 2010 10:40AM
Hey all,

Technically you can output to DVD-R for submitting pre-masters which are for a Copy Protected run. You can either use DVD-R (A) (Authoring Media) which requires an authoring drive. Not many people/places have these. Or you can output DDP/CMF filesets to the HDD and burn those to DVD-R for delivery. Far more common and cheaper than sending a hard drive.

Make sure your rep house knows that you're sending a DDP image though and that you require copy protection otherwise you'll end-up with a bunch of data discs that don't play in players...
February 16, 2010 11:25AM
Thanks, Jake -

I guess I'm still stuck with sending the DDP fileset out, as I don't have the authoring drive you're talking about. I'll check around and see if they're available, for a reasonable cost - because sending out to a facility has a such a slow turn-around time.
February 16, 2010 09:07PM
Just to be clear, what Jake meant is that you can burn a replication master to DVD-R (A) media. That replication master can then be turned into an encrypted glass master at the replication facility. You can't burn an encrypted DVD at all, period, no matter whether you use a DVD-R (G) or a DVD-R (A) drive. And a replication master won't play in a DVD player. It's useful only for sending off to a replication facility.

No matter what, if you want to create an encrypted DVD, you must send a master image (usually CMF these days, rather than DDP) to a replication facility that's licensed by the DVD CCA to create encrypted discs. The whole framework was put in place to keep a tight reign on the CSS encryption algorithm, to prevent reverse-engineering it to obtain decryption keys. Of course, we all know how that turned out. But the fact remains, you can't make encrypted discs at home, period.

February 16, 2010 11:23PM
Jeff, thanks for saving me a lot of time and effort in further pursuit of this objective from my small video production company. My gratitude to you for the follow-up. Everyone's been extremely helpful.
February 24, 2010 10:43PM
That is very nice site according to me.......There are many different topics available here so I hope that you will read care fully and take more information......
wrinkle cream
wrinkle cream
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics