Error Message "Disc Previously Viewed"

Posted by shelleyrae 
Error Message "Disc Previously Viewed"
March 13, 2010 11:39AM
Hi,
I provided DVD Master created in DVDSP to a dub house who created a glass master and burned 300 copies. They are telling me that all the copies they made have errors that say "Disc previously viewed" and that this is the a result of a faulty master I provided. I checked the master DVD I created on two DVD systems before sending it and it played fine. This master is a simple "plug and play" with no menu. What could be causing this error at the dub house?

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
Re: Error Message "Disc Previously Viewed"
May 01, 2010 05:58PM
I'd say that they have got a preference setting in the DVD player software that asks whether they wish to resume playback from the last time the disc was viewed - Apple's DVD Player app has exactly this feature... check the 'previously viewed' section in there.

I am pretty confident in saying that you cannot have created an error like this in DVDSP, and that the fact you don't see the error suggests you are using players which don't have the 'feature' turned on. You may want to get others to check your disc to be certain, but I think you'll be fine.

The only word of caution about your process is that you appear to have had a glass master made from a disc that you burned in DVDSP... which means you have got a glass master version of a DVD-R, and not a true DVD-Video disc. The differences are slight, but important. If you ever go to replication (glass masters) then you really ought to supply an image of the disc in CMF or DDP format, and not a DVD-R that you can play in a set top box. If you are using duplication instead (the process of repeatedly burning the same disc) then you'll be expecting to end up with DVD-Rs as a product, and not DVD-Video discs. The importance is that a DVD-Video disc is guaranteed 100% compatible with all players that adhere to the DVD specifications. DVD-Rs are less compatible across the board, although the figures are improving for them each year.

--

lafcpug mod
May 02, 2010 08:56AM
Thank you, Hal. We did figure out finally that it was the DVD player setting that was creating the "Previously Viewed Disc" message.

You bring up a good point about delivery for a glass master. I did not know that. I'm a little unclear on the procedure. Would I make a Disc Image of the DVDSP Project? Or do I need to author the DVD to a DVD disc, then make a Disc Image from that? Then put in a DDP disc and burn the Disc Image to that? Please clarify. It will be good to know the correct process for the future.

Thanks for you help.

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
May 03, 2010 06:48AM
The process is generally to build and format and select DDP or CMF from the dialogue, and write the content to a DLT device instead of burning a disc.

However, you can also create the image to your hard drive and then make a data disc (not a video disc) using that image. Some replicators will be able to use that. More frequently these days replicators are taking output on hard drives instead of tapes, but for me the DLT is still part of the work flow.

To get a DLT device running you'll need a SCSI card in your Mac Pro, which is a whole other issue!

--

lafcpug mod
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics