dvdsp component files

Posted by Tom Sanders 
dvdsp component files
June 05, 2010 05:10PM
I clearly don't understand how DVDSP works. Isn't muxing the process by which DVDSP creates the VIDEO TS and AUDIO TS folders? If so, why is it that when I open a project previously burned to DVD, a project which has VIDEO TS and AUDIO TS folders (and files), asking it to burn a dvd causes it to start 'muxing' all over again?

In fact, I don't see any difference in behavior between a project where I've previously saved the VIDEO TS folder, and one where it starts with just the MPEG and Dolby files.

QUESTION:

What files do I need to give the client so they can burn additional DVDs beyond those I give them?
Re: dvdsp component files
June 06, 2010 12:56PM
You are right - 'muxing' means multiplexing, the process of combining your video and audio assets with the navigational commands in order to create a VIDEO_TS folder. The AUDIO_TS folder is pretty much redundant as it holds no data on a DVD-Video disc, but is created as a matter of course to comply with the spec. Almost no players require it these days, but some still do.

Now, if you go into DVDSP and re-open the project you have just created, and select to build and format the app should tell you if a version of the VIDEO_TS folder already exists and ask whether you want to delete it or overwrite it. However, if you simply ask to 'Format' the disc, you should be able to create a new copy without the muxing process. The 'Build' process includes the muxing.

Alternatively, if you have got the disc created already, just duplicate it using DIsc Utility or use Toast to create additional copies. There is no reason to use DVDSP for this job, and Toast does a fine job (and faster, too).

--

lafcpug mod
June 07, 2010 01:11PM
Thanks for your helpful reply.

So, if I provide the VIDEO TS and AUDIO TS folders to someone, that's all they need to burn additional DVDs, and they can do it with Toast or some other app, correct? They don't need the DVD SP project file (since they're unlikely to use DVD SP)? And is the VIDEO TS folder cross platform? Could they use these files on a PC based DVD burner?

And what are the PAR files?

Thanks again.
June 07, 2010 01:58PM
A DVD-Video disc has a specific structure to it, called 'UDF' (as opposed to ISO discs that you create by simply dropping data onto them and burning them in the finder).

As long as the person you give the folder to is aware that they are to create a UDF DVD-Video disc then just giving them the video_ts folder *should* be OK.

However, you *could* give them a disc image that you have created in DVDSP (select your hard drive as the output location and choose 'img' from the selections available). This will contain all the formatting information and pretty much anyone with disc burning utilities will be able to make a playable DVD from it.

They certainly don't need the DVDSP project file.

VIDEO_TS folders, on a UDF disc are indeed cross platform.

The PAR folders are created by DVDSP when you import assets to your project. The app first 'parses' them to create the metadata it needs to use the asset. Once done, the information is held in a PAR folder and DVDSP refers to this, rather than directly to the asset. Occasionally, when a project becomes corrupted, deleting the PAR folders helps restore the project as DVDSP is forced to re-parse the asset and re-build it's 'information' about it.

Also, if you update a piece of footage and then re-import it to DVDSP with the exact same name as the earlier version you occasionally don't see the renewed footage, but the older version. Deleting the PAR files sorts this bit out, but as a matter of course and good practice I recommend adding a version number to every asset so that if you do update, DVDSP must parse the new item and you won't get the same errors.

--

lafcpug mod
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics