Difficulty burning DVD: Getting error message

Posted by CaliCdn 
Difficulty burning DVD: Getting error message
October 01, 2010 03:50PM
I have a short 10 min project created in FCP. I having been trying to compress and burn it to a DVD with great frustration and difficulty. I've been able to create a .mov and burned to a CD with no problems, but the non profit I created it for would like it on a DVD.

I don't need chapters or titles. Just a simple first play.

I have followed on-line tutorials, including the one posted here by Larry Jordan. But part way through the burn and format process, I get the same error: "Formatting failed. The recording device reported the media error: Unknown device error. (0x0C, 0x00.)"

I have tried two different brands of DVD, and several different DVDs thinking at first it may have been a dud.

I have tried two different methods of compression. Using compressor, and letting DVD SP do the compressing. Both ways get me up to the error message.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I tried to ask around at the DV Expo this week, but it was a little overwhelming.

More info that may be helpful:
Mac OS 10.6.4
2 x 2.26 GHz quad core intel Xeon
FCP 7.0.3
DVD SP: 4.2.2
DVD-R - memorex and HP

I also made a screen capture of DVD SP when I got the error message if that is of help. Thanks!!

Pam - CaliCdn
Re: Difficulty burning DVD: Getting error message
October 02, 2010 11:30AM
One thing to try is going to Build/Format and selecting Hard Disk as the output option. This will create a disk image that you can open up in Disk Utility and burn from there. But be aware that this error can sometimes indicate a physical failure with the device.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
October 04, 2010 12:18AM
Jon:

Thank you for responding, and thank you for the tip. However, I have tried this, and I am a little confused. I don't seem to be able to end up with my desired result, which is the movie on a DVD. I am just not sure how an .img file will be helpful to my clients. I think I may be missing a step here.
October 04, 2010 08:45PM
Don't send the img file to your clients. Open the file in Disk Utility (inside Applications/Utilities) and click the Burn button.

P.S. You may experience greater success by choosing a slower burn speed in Disk Utility. DVD SP does not offer this option and simply burns at the maximum speed of the drive.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
October 07, 2010 05:08PM
Jon:

Thanks. I found a tutorial on burning from disk utility, and I understand it now. Thanks for your help.
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics