subtitles with DVDSP4

Posted by katz 
subtitles with DVDSP4
December 12, 2010 01:46PM
I want to put Japanese subtitles in a movie i made in fcp studio2. I'm authoring with DVDSP4. So I'm attempting to use DVDSP4 to add the subtitles. I use the "Streams" in DVDSP to do this and can change the "languages" as well. I selected Japanese. Inside the clip in the stream (S1) I typed my subtitle text in the text box in English but even though I selected "Japanese" it still appeared in English? Isn't DVDSP supposed to translate my English to Japanese or any Language selected? Or am I missing something? Thanks you for your help.
Re: subtitles with DVDSP4
December 12, 2010 06:25PM
Hell no. You need a translator. A person to type it all out for you in Japanese with timecode markers to tell you where to put each part.

If you speak another language and you've ever used something like the really-good-but-still-quite-hilariously-wrong Google translator, you'd see why it would be madness to rely on a computer translator just yet.

December 13, 2010 01:43AM
I do have someone translating the script from English to Japanese... What I don't know is how the Japanese translation characters or script are input to dvdsp..? I type in English it appears in English... Where's the Japanese?
Thanks>>>
December 13, 2010 10:11AM
Sorry, but I'm not getting you here. if you import a subtitle track in Japanese, does it show up?

www.strypesinpost.com
December 13, 2010 11:29AM
What I mean is:I typed up the script from my movie in Microsoft word and sent it to my friend... he is now translating that into Japanese. How do I get the Japanese script into DVDSP? What program or method changes the writing from English to Japanese and how do I get into DVDSP? (It's easy to put a subtitle in a track in DVDSP but I don't know HOW to change it from English to Japanese...)Thanks...
Thanks...
December 13, 2010 11:34AM
I've never used foreign-language subtitles in DVD Studio Pro, but my guess is that the "language" designation in there is only to tell the DVD player what name to display for that language track. I played around with it yesterday after seeing this thread, and I couldn't even type in a Chinese font in DVDSP's own subtitle text field (despite having them in International preferences and being able to type Chinese fonts in everything from Safari to MS Word). That leads me to believe that DVD Studio Pro's texting options include foreign languages. You might have to import them as graphics files.

I'm moving this thread to the DVDSP forum. You might find more ready answers there.

www.derekmok.com
December 13, 2010 11:43AM
You could try looking at this. Not sure why Andreas took the link off the main page.

[www.spherico.de]

www.strypesinpost.com
December 13, 2010 11:52AM
Well let me google this for you...

[discussions.info.apple.com]
[forums.creativecow.net]

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
December 13, 2010 12:03PM
In this Ken Stone Tutorial if you scroll down a ways it shows the ability to choose a Language... the example in the tutorial is French. You can see text typed in English on one track and then appears in French (when french is selected) on another subtitle track. I tried selecting Japanese and typing in my text but it still appears in English. Obliviously I'm missing something.. this is my first time subtitling and I need to understand the correct procedure on how to change English into and have it appear in Japanese in a subtitle. Thanks.
[www.kenstone.net]
December 29, 2010 06:46PM
Katz - you type in English, it'll appear in English! Whether you say it is Greek, german, Spanish or whatever, unless you physically write it in the language it will appear as you typed it.

Subs are basically images when the disk is burnt. No matter what you do, it will stay as you typed it, regardless of what you set the language to be. You must input Japanese words to get it to show in Japanese.

Now, the language setting is only going to tell the player what is in place. It won't translate anything for you.

If you want Japanese characters to show up you've got to use those when you create the subs. If you can't do this in a text editor, try something like Belle Nuit subtiter. It works with images.

--

lafcpug mod
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics