Converting from PAL HD for SD DVD authoring?

Posted by Marcus2 
Converting from PAL HD for SD DVD authoring?
February 02, 2011 10:32AM
Hey Guys,

Sorry to hear bout the terrible weather so many of you in the US are having! Ouch!
To my question: I have done several DVD's recently and used a particular workflow, which has not always produced the greatest results.
Having shot with Panasonic 174 camera, shooting DVCPRO100, ingested and edited in native DVCPRO100.
Then export the final movie as native HD DVCPRO100. Next is to convert the master movie to SD, and here I used DVCPRO50.
Convert that file to MPEG-2 and AC-3 in Compressor, import into DVD STUDIO PRO and author then burn the DVD.
What I often find though, is that I get a kind of horizontal 'strobing' lines effect. The result is definitely not as smooth and clean as I would expect.

What advice can you offer in terms of workflow? Is it better not to convert to SD before Compressor?
Please share your experiences with me..

Thanks,

Marcus

Marcus T
iCreate! digital|post
12 Core Mac Pro, Snow Leopard, FCP 7.0.3, 8Gb Memory.
Re: Converting from PAL HD for SD DVD authoring?
February 14, 2011 03:14AM
Hi, Marcus-

Sorry, coming late to this one. Hey, it's going to be in the 50's this week...here in the northeast US, anyway.

I would tend to go direct from your highest quality into Compressor.

I pass on what I'm being told-- make shorts tests. I don't see any reason why you cannot feed your DVCProHD directly into Compressor with an MPEG-2 setting. I will in fact be making a test for just that myself.

If you're in PAL and you need to author NTSC, Compresssor has decent standards conversion settings for that. So does Episode Pro, one of my favorite utilities.

- Loren

Today's FCP 7 keytip:
Play from Playhead to Out Mark with Shift-P !

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics