HD DVD and Player

Posted by Nick Baer 
HD DVD and Player
March 02, 2012 10:20PM
Could someone bring us up-to-date with DVD Studio Pro and Lion?

I have been shooting HD for the past 2 years, but dumb down to 720x480.for SD DVDs.

I'm upgrading my gear, and finally deciding to do everything 1920x1080i.

Is there a good FAQ or Wiki here about DSP, that takes into account all of the things that Lion changed?

I just burned my first HD DVD, and saw for the first time the HVDVD_TS folder... which DVD Player won't open.

Another forum suggested MPlayer, but it didn't work either.

DO you all keep making SD DVDs, as widescreen or some other variation of what consumers might interpret as "HD"?

Thanks in advance.

Independent photographer, film maker and Producer. In the wonderful UK.
Re: HD DVD and Player
March 03, 2012 12:10PM
HD DVD is a dead format. It has been replaced by Blu-ray discs, which can be burned by Compressor, albeit with far less customization than DVDSP offers. If you want extra control when burning Blu-ray discs I would recommend Adobe Encore.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
March 03, 2012 08:49PM
Thank You. I have no problem skipping over HD DVD and Blu-Ray.

What a shame Apple is letting Adobe create all the great video DVD production Apps.

So I'm thinking, my question revised now is:

My Video and Still cameras shoot 1920x1080i...

Since the Wiki is almost 2 years old, what do I do with 1920x1080i in DSP? Or has everyone abandoned DSP?

I like DSP. How much do I dumb down 1920x1080i to keep DSP happy making a SD DVD? vs. How little do I downsize 1920x1080i to keep the customer happy?

Thanks again,
March 03, 2012 11:09PM
I still use DVDSP and so do many others on this forum. I'll continue to use it until a future version of OS X breaks it.

I would recommend using the DVD presets in Compressor to encode MPEG-2 files and then bring those files into DVDSP. Compressor's encoder is superior to that of DVDSP.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
March 04, 2012 09:59AM
Thank You. I am downloading the current version of Compressor from the App store.

In 15 hours, I'll be able to try it out! I need to learn if FCS automatically associates Export to Compressor using the new 4.0.x Compressor version, or if it is stuck on the 3.0.x version that's the most recent on my drive. And then, if I'll need to unstick it.

Is there any quality difference in Exporting from FCS as QuickTime movie, and having that .mov for future reference and use, then Compressing that .mov as .mpeg-2 for DSP... as compared to Compressing the .mpeg-2 direct from FCS?

I'm thinking not, but nothing beats experience!

Or, should I do the .mpeg-2 and .mov separately, in the reverse order?
March 04, 2012 12:05PM
You're probably not going to get much benefit from Compressor 4. It's pretty much identical to Compressor 3.5 except they changed it so that it was self-contained in one application instead of having lots of files dotted about the hard drive.

FCS can't export directly to Compressor 4 but you can create a QuickTime movie and bring it in.

My software:
More tools...
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics