No Sub-Pixel rendering?

Posted by Chris Davies 
No Sub-Pixel rendering?
August 25, 2004 04:05PM
Does anyone know if Motion performs sub-pixel rendering?

I've noticed very UGLY time-domain/scaling artifacts when I apply slower movements or scale affects to text in Motion.

My settings were:
Zapfino text (48pt or so)
Grow/Shrink behaviour

Adjust the behaviour setting so the text grows slowly over time.

I'm noticing that the text size jumps very noticeably every so often, and depending on the settings it can appear like it's oscillating as it grows. Apply a glow or bloom filter and it's 10x as obvious.

Even less critical clients would notice this immediately.

If I attempt the same thing with Boris Title 3D in FCP it looks GREAT!!

What Gives??
Re: No Sub-Pixel rendering?
August 25, 2004 05:50PM
I did exaclty the same expérience like you : Zapfino text, and a grow/Shrink behaviour.

The behaviour is set the grow most slowly as possible.

I sub-pixel rendering is perfect ! even in realtime on screen at 100%. And an export of that is perfect too.

So... I don't know what append in your prject...but it should be perfectly smooth !

:-)
Re: No Sub-Pixel rendering?
August 28, 2004 01:02PM
How is the smoothness in your final rendered movie? The GPUs in video cards are never perfect, they were designed for fast real-time rendering for games, not motion graphics! But once Motion renders, any "anomolies" noticed during real-time playback due to using the card's GPU should not be present.

The downside of this, of course, is that the rendered movie may not match the real-time view in some aspects.
I don't know where you get the idea that GPUs are not perfect from. They're now sometimes used for heavy parallel maths that does not use image processing - just because they're very, very fast a number crunching.

The GPU is used for the rendering as well as the playback. Rendering takes a long time because it takes a long time to pull an image back off the GPU and into real memory. So the real time movie is, to all intents and purposes the rendered movie.

Graeme
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics