Lossless ver DV-NTSC

Posted by Paul 
Lossless ver DV-NTSC
October 05, 2004 06:16PM
1st time I have seen a export codec called Lossless... I can't find much info on this topic... I want to know what is the best export setting I should use when exporting to FCP from motion... I am editing regular SD and have mached the 29.97 fps on the initial setup up of my motion project.

The reason for asking about the Lossless, is that I have did some exports using both and have noticed that the file size on Lossless is much bigger than using the DV-NTSC export. I also noticed that the Lossless file is much nicer/sharper looking on the mac monitor, but seems to be a little lower res from the DV-NTSC file when played on FCP to the external NTSC Monitor.

Thank you for any recomendations.
Re: Lossless ver DV-NTSC
October 07, 2004 08:43AM
Paul,

Get used to seeing and using the ANIMATION ( "Lossless"winking smiley codec. This is what I use for pristine graphics / compositions.

It is a larger file because there is more color information than DV. DVCPRO/DV NTSC codec is 5:1 compression, which throws out color information. You will NEVER get cleaner renders using the DV codec...not to mention in the ANIMATION codec, you can save the Alpha Channel (MILLIONS of COLORS +) and in the DV codec, you can't. I wouldn't use anything else (except Uncompressed 10-Bit) for a Broadcast situation.

- Joe
October 07, 2004 10:37AM
Thanks joe... In the FCP form I posted this below and got one bogus answer, maybe you could give a pointer on this as well. It is a Motion and/or any other program iv'e used problem for me:

Example: Importing an image into FCP (box, 1-3pixle line width, red in color). Image was created in Photo Shop CS using their preset for video NTSC DV 720X480.

The pixle aspect ratio: D1/DV NTSC (0.9) or non-square pixles

@72 dpi

After importing this red box that can be from 1-3 pixles in line width into FCP, placing it on a black backround, rendering if needed, and then hitting play; The end result will be a poor looking graphic that is radiating white like edges all around the line edge... This is also happens when using the basic border option in FCP, or applying a border in Motion to any still or video... Any advise? I thought I have seen crisp, clean graphics like this used in many TV broadcasts???

On that same subject... anyone know how to get clean looking text that is small in size... Also used Motion for this aproach and was able to get it some what small, but as soon as I tried to get it like the size you see running at bottom of CNN News, it then it gets fuzzy..
October 07, 2004 01:08PM
Paul.

Using an image 1 to 3 pixels wide (1 pixel is out of the question - too thin), you are dangerously close to that "Interlace Flicker" that happens to sharp graphics. try going into your Sequence Settings (COMMAND/0) and changing Field Dominance to NONE. My red box came to life from a flickering mess (I recreated your issue on my machine using a 2-pixel red box stroke). If my edges get too thin in After Effects, I tend to add a plug-in called "Reduce Interlace Flicker" with a setting of .5 or 1 (slightly softens the edges to spread the thin line over the 2 fields). You can use a fine blur also.

On the text issue, it depends how small you are talking about. Anything smaller than 10 points in an Interlaced comp will be unreadable.

Let me know.

- Joe
October 07, 2004 02:18PM
Thank you very much for the imformation.... I had kind of a bad answer like (look at a manual) on the FCP forum.

I have been testing all different types of configurations all day... I have found the best combination to be as follows: Using Motion to build, object with basic border at 3pixles, add gaus blur at 1pixle, export using the DV NTSC .... This creates the best looking box as far as trying to get rid of the interlace/flicker/white/jagged crap. The key appears to be soften the edges using the blur, and it also helps by using the DV NTSC compression verses the Lossless "gives a slight added softness to help with this treatment".

It would seem that there would be more info on this subject... Isn't it comon to have this happen when doing these types of composits?
October 07, 2004 02:45PM
Paul,

...when rendering Motion files w/Alpha Channels (which you cannot do with the DVCPRO/DV NTSC Codec), use these settings:

ANIMATION (Best) W/Alpha Channel (Millions of colors +) Straight (unmatted). These are the BEST SETTINGS next to Uncompressed.

- Joe
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics