Motion & ATI X800 256

Posted by Jusbuc 
Motion & ATI X800 256
June 04, 2005 02:20PM
Howdy from chilly Finland.

I have a question regarding ATI X800 256MB: Do I need to do more than just install the card and upgrade drivers & ROM?

I just installed one to my system (G5 dual 2G, 4GB RAM, MEDEA RAID, AJA i/o, FCP 4.5, Motion 1.01, os 10.3.9) and notice hardly ANY improvement to Motion. I ran a few simple text&particle tests with the old card (9600 Pro 64MB), installed the X800, and... It was the same. FPS hung around 12 (PAL) in Motion.

And for Motion: After a few minutes, sometimes in a matter of seconds, Motion gets, well, slow. It practically freezes (shouldn't be THAT cold in Finland), and after that, usually crashes. 15 times last night while I was working with titles.
I used an uncompressed clip for general timing, then removed the clip from the project altogether, and after a while... Tar! Frozen OJ! You name it.

LAFCPUG has a great "Troubleshooting FCP" page by Larry Jordan. Anything in the making for Motion? I heard someone say that upgrading to Tiger will dramatically improve Motion's performance andd stability. Really really?

Any comments are welcomed. br...jb

jb
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics