Kern Protection Failure ??

Posted by ClayC 
Kern Protection Failure ??
November 12, 2005 01:48PM
After upgrade to OSX 10.4.3 Motion constantly crashes when applying most filters. The crash log displays "Kern Protection Failure" and "Exc Bad Access". What is this and what's the fix??

Clay
Re: Kern Protection Failure ??
November 13, 2005 07:14PM
Do you have a Decklink? Turn it off.

bogiesan
November 14, 2005 05:21AM
Yes, I do have a Decklink HD Plus card. "Turn it off". You mean in the Motion prefs i.e. output set to "none"? Tried that, the app at least runs somewhat better, although wierdly some of the filters (especially those in the distortion category) when applied still crash the app. I repeatedly get the same Kern Protection Failure error message in the crash log. I've also tried this on new as well as old Motion sequences. Same problem in all cases and with different types (SD,HD) of project setups.

Thing is, everything was working fine and dandy (and with the Decklink card) until I went up to OS 10.4.3. and the most recent pro app upgrade.

Any other thoughts?? Goin' nuts with this and stand to lose a job this week if I can't straighten it out.

Clay
November 15, 2005 04:17AM
Recent: there are several threads over at Apple's Motion Forum on this. Seems to be a problem for a lot of users right now. Hope they sort it out pronto.
November 15, 2005 04:31AM
And thinking beyond my own sandbox for a moment: if anyone else is reading this and has not yet upgraded to Motion2.0.1 and OS 10.4.3, then maybe hang on a sec before doing so. There's a real problem that needs to get fixed. Also check out what they're saying at Creative Cow's Motion forum. Same deal.
January 03, 2006 06:34AM
I am a newbie who just created my first slide show on i-movie, went to share it with i-DVD to burn it, and now i can't open i-tunes, i-movie, i-dvd, dvd player...but i can open garage band and safari and my address book...although safari still crashes sometimes. I haven't even had my G4 15 in powerbook hooked up to the internet for the past 6 weeks, so not sure if it is a virus or not. But today, i upgraded to OS 10.4.3....maybe a mistake based on what i am reading. If anyone knows what to do...please email me at torrey_lynch@hotmail.com and save me from shipping my computer home from Iraq to get it repaired. Thank you.
I have been having the same problem, but only in After Effects I open a project from within and BAM, it crashes, and I get the same message...i did just do a software upgrade...
January 11, 2006 05:32AM
I'm not at all versed enough in AE to give much help. Try an AE Forum like the one over at creativecow.
ED
January 19, 2006 02:53PM
I have the same opening .mail Help
January 20, 2006 03:07AM
The only way I was able to remedy the problem was by doing an archive and install of OS 10.4.0 from my original Tiger install disk, and then reinstalling all of my apps. After that, everything ran fine again, and I've stayed with 10.4.0 since.

Turning off the Blackmagic desktop did not work for me. Upon doing that, it crashed my entire system for good.

In the meantime, the problem with 10.4.3. and Blackmagic cards has supposedly been fixed in the 10.4.4. software update, but I'm not going to install that as I don't need it at the moment so can't comment on that solution pro or con.

See also Graeme Nattress' post on this, currently at the top of the forum page.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics