Prepping TV screen for tracking & compositing in post?

Posted by entelechy 
Prepping TV screen for tracking & compositing in post?
January 07, 2008 11:39PM
Hi All,

Does anyone have any advice how to prep a TV screen for easy tracking and compositing in post? I'll need to composite a video clip "into" a blank plasma TV. Motion 3's tracking seems pretty impressive (I've played with it here and there), but I'm wondering what kind of tracking points (bright orange dots? colored tape? etc.) to put on the set during the shoot and/or if I need to bother trying to greenscreen the screen? I'm assuming not as I can corner-pin the video using the tracking points, correct?

Thanks for any advice/recommendations,
~Chris
Re: Prepping TV screen for tracking & compositing in post?
January 14, 2008 12:00PM
You shouldn't have to green screen the TV screen. In fact, if the camera will be moving at all, you'll still need to motion track it.

I would apply bright tape (usually white) to each of the four corners of the set and one to the center. The more tracking points you can have, the easier it is for Motion to be able to get the rotation/position/scale right.

Still, I haven't done any REALLY tough motion tracking with Motion so I'm not sure how solid it'd be for jibbed shots or handheld. It might be best to limit the movement of the camera to one direction at a time.

Andy
Re: Prepping TV screen for tracking & compositing in post?
January 14, 2008 02:34PM
Thanks Andy, this is why it's good to ask ahead of time smiling smiley...I'll be sure to plan accordingly, and thanks for taking time to reply.

~Chris
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics