Using Mattes with Motion Tracking

Posted by Chuck Spaulding 
Using Mattes with Motion Tracking
December 11, 2007 10:36PM
There's a guy in a live action shot with a tattoo on his arm that needs to be removed. I clone painted a still image in Photoshop and then motion matched the PSD to the live action clip.

Looked OK and for this shot probably good enough, but what I really wanted to do was matte a section of the live action shot (a different part of the arm) then track the tattoo and append the matte to the tattoo.

I have tried many different ways but have been unable to "pin" the matte to a specific point to reveal only what I want to reveal and then match that to the motion of the arm.

How can I accomplish this?
Re: Using Mattes with Motion Tracking
December 20, 2007 10:10PM
I was able to apply a match move to a matte and to a piece of video containing a matte, so maybe I'm not understanding what it is you're trying to do.

I put the original video on one layer (tattoo'd arm). Applied Motion Tracking/Analyze Motion to it and tracked the tattoo.

I placed another piece of video above the tattoo video and drew a matte so that only a part of the clip was visible.

Then I applied a Motion Tracking/Match Move to the matte'd clip and dragged the Analyze Motion behavior icon onto the Match Move source well.

The top clip follows the track of the tattoo and replaces it with the video contained in the mask.

Was this what you're trying to do, or is it more complicated than that?

Andy
Re: Using Mattes with Motion Tracking
January 14, 2008 02:42AM
Hi Andy,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not currently at my system but that sounds like its exactly what I'm trying to do. Previously I tried doing this using an image mask through the object - add image mask menu.

Hopefully I'll have a chance to try it tomorrow at work.

Thanks again
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics