Transitional Replicators in Motion

Posted by shelleyrae 
Transitional Replicators in Motion
July 08, 2008 03:21PM
Hi,

I'm experimenting with the transitional replicators in Motion and some thing's not quite right. For example, I'm currently working with "Dots out Right" and it just plays back black and white. I'm expecting to see my out going video where the black is and incoming video through the white pattern. The effect just plays back solid black and white -- no video shows through the moving dot pattern.

I have the outgoing and incoming tracks overlapping and a third track with the "Dots out Right" transition stacked on top of the overlap. What have I done wrong?

Shelley

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
Re: Transitional Replicators in Motion
July 08, 2008 04:36PM
You need to apply that replicator as an image mask.

Select the video layer, then go to Object > Add Image Mask. Drag the replicator group into the well in the HUD. You may need to invert it depending on whether you are wiping the video on or off. Your other video layer should be below.
July 09, 2008 11:47AM
Thanks, Mark. I'll try that.

But before I spend too much time fumbling around, I have a few more questions:

I'm creating a music montage about 3 minutes long. If I choose to use these "replicator transitions," I'm wondering what the best work flow is. Do I first create a rough edit in the FC time line with the video tracks stacked and overlapping and then send to Motion to apply the replicator transition and image mask? And do I color correct the FC clips before sending to Motion or do I color correct the Motion export once it's back in the FC time line?

Another Transition question: I would like to use "Light Speed 01" in Misc. Content as a transition to wipe off outgoing video and reveal incoming clip. How do I do this?

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
July 09, 2008 12:04PM
A rough edit in FC is a good way to go, then select the clips and use the "send to Motion" command.

Color correction is a bit of a problem. If you color correct in FCP first, you'll lose the correction when you send to Motion, because filters don't make the trip (except for SmoothCam).

But if you wait until after you roundtrip, you'll end up with one Motion project instead of individual video clips.

So what I would do is color correct your clips first, then export and reimport the correct clips and replace the originals with the "baked" corrections. Then send those to Motion.

Not sure about the Light Speed 01, sorry, just don't have enough time to dig into that.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics