Best way to learn?

Posted by xavpil 
Best way to learn?
February 23, 2009 05:28PM
I'm a FCP editor and I've decided to finally learn Motion.
I've played around a little to be able to create basic titles and L3, but I need more now.
What'd the best way? Moviola classes? Ripple Training DVDs?
Re: Best way to learn?
February 24, 2009 03:02AM
Don't know how far along you are or what your skill set is, but here's how I did it starting about 2 years ago. Hopefully some realworld experience that will help you along:

1. Read the entire manual. Not while sitting at the computer and trying stuff out as you go, but just read it once through as if it were a book to get a solid grasp of the the scope of the app.

2. Get a book with lessons and tutorials. Motion3 by Mark Spencer and colleagues from PeachPit Press is a very good intro. Buy it from the Lafcpug store.

3. Get Ripple Training's Motion3 Deep Dive to get into the more advanced techniques. Also available in the store. Not cheap, but more than worth it.

4. Search the net for Tutorials. No matter how simple they sometimes appear, there's always a gem to be found in the way of a keyboard shortcut or other workflow tip not found in the manual. AppleMotionNet is a good place to start.

5. Also look at AE tutorials. Tons of those at creatviecow.net. Although AE is in many ways a completely different app, oftentimes you can achieve the same thing in Motion a lot more easily. Especially at the entry level.

6. Search the net for graphics design sites for ideas and inspiration. Trollback.com is a personal favorite.

7. Tune your rig to be able to work in Motion as efficently as possible. There's a good list of what to do here:

[provideocoalition.com]

At some point you'll have to decide how far you want to go with it. If you're an editor looking to enhance and improve your skills, and working mainly in FCP Studio, Motion is certainly a must. I personally couldn't work without it. If you have a design background and a strong visual sense too, Motion will certainly open new avenues to express your talents. Either way, a good move.

hth,
Clay
Re: Best way to learn?
February 24, 2009 09:21AM
Thanks Clay.
Yeah, my problem is that I work in a big company where we have gfx artsits so I don't get a chance to get my hands dirty as far as gfx. The most gfx work I do is typing "Temp GFX"!!!
But I realize it is a tool we , editors, need to be comfortable with, especially in this economy where companies start to look for one-man-band who can produce-edit-color correct-gfx design
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics