clip length problem

Posted by burnsilver 
clip length problem
December 16, 2008 05:06PM
I ran into this problem before, so it's not specific to this project or video clip.

I imported a quicktime movie into a project and I'm duplicating it into several layers. The problem is, there is more video in the quicktime movie then Motion is letting me see.

What I mean is, even though my group length in the timeline exceeds my current frame position by several seconds, I can't see all of the video clip I've imported. I try to stretch out the clip length and it's like I'm hitting a brick wall and it pull any farther to the right. The clip, according to the media tab "duration" is 290 frames. The frame rate in the summary of the movie clip is 10 FPS. I'm hitting the end at 690 frames in the timeline, but I should still have another 180 frames to go before the end of the video clip.

If I look at the video in quicktime player, I can see another couple of seconds of video playing that I just can't get to in Motion.

Any help you can offer is appreciated.

Paul
Re: clip length problem
December 16, 2008 06:06PM
Why is it 10fps? Is that correct? What's the source of the video?
December 16, 2008 06:25PM
Yes, it's a 10 FPS security camera clip.

But I also had this problem with a 24 or 30 FPS clip a few months back.
December 16, 2008 09:11PM
That's the problem - try re-exporting the clip from QT pro, keyframing every frame.
December 17, 2008 11:50AM
Mark,

Thanks for trying to help.

Just tried re-exporting as you suggested, made a new project and re-imported the new clip, and I still have the problem. The clip is 35 sec in length but I only get a maximum of 29 seconds that I'm allowed to see in the timeline.

When I double click the movie clip in the file browser and it opens in the pop-up quicktime viewer window inside Motion, I can see the missing frames. It's just weird that Motion is truncating the clip.
December 22, 2008 12:08AM
What codec is the QT file?

Andy
September 09, 2009 07:54AM
Hi there,

Having a similar problem but in FCP with a digitised clip. The clip is 41 mins or so (its a casting tape) in QT. However, in FCP it's only picking up 14 mins. Re-importing the clip has the same effect. Obviously this is a problem but with what? FCP? The computer? The Clip itself?

Since it's a viewing station I have been relegated to another computer (and other work) for the moment. I'll attempt to redig when I get back on it.

Anyone else had this problem? I've been using FCP for about 4 years now and I've not come across this until now.
September 09, 2009 08:10AM
Please provide full and exact format and specifications information about the clip and about how it got into your computer.
September 24, 2009 12:00PM
Hi Tom,

Using OSX 10.4.11
Dual 1.8 Ghz Power PC G5
1 GB DDR SDRAM
Internal HD has 20GB of 130 GB free
External (digitising to) has 44 of 465 GB free
Using a SONY DSR 1500 AP through Firewire into FCP 6.0.2
We've got QT 7.6.2

Anything else you need to know?

These are recce (i.e. audition) sequences and footage, but due to time constraints of the researchers things need to happen properly. I'm just wondering if an update might be in order?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Amy
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics