Motion 5 specs say I need an Open CL card.

Posted by Russ Blaise 
Motion 5 specs say I need an Open CL card.
June 21, 2011 10:36AM
It says, minimum system requirements for Motion 5: OpenCL-capable graphics card or Intel HD Graphics 3000 or later. I'm using the ATI Radeon HD 3870 which I think only has Open GL. Does this mean I'm dead in the water? Or by it saying, "Intel HD Graphics 3000 or later", I fall into that?

I can't really uparade to a card that has Open CL. My Mac Pro is a Mac 1, 1
Re: Motion 5 specs say I need an Open CL card.
June 21, 2011 10:35PM
Update: I just downloaded Motion 5, and it works with the Radeon HD 3870 on a Mac Pro 1, 1

If the card is not on this list, then I think you are okay.
July 04, 2011 06:48AM
Russ,
Sounds like you lucked out. In addition to the link you posted of Graphic Cards that definitely won't work, below is the Apple's link to graphic cards that definitely WILL work.

[support.apple.com]
July 04, 2011 10:40AM
This is what the Tech Support at AMD said in an email to me:

Based on the information you have provided, I understand you want to know if the Radeon HD 3870 Mac Edition utilizes OpenCL support under Apple's Snow Leopard.

The graphic card supports the feature, but it's the drivers that Apple provides that allows the video card to utilize the feature. Please check with Apple to confirm with Radeon HD 3870 Mac Edition and the drivers will utilize OpenCL support under Apple's Snow Leopard.

So I guess that's why it works.
July 04, 2011 01:16PM
Even though the Radeon HD 3870 does work, I did order the Radeon HD 5770 from the Apple store. 1GB of GDDR5 memory can't hurt!
July 06, 2011 10:39PM
UPDATE: I just installed the new Radeon HD 5770. It takes a little bit of work to get it in there. I had to take out some of the guts inside the Mac Pro first. That might be because it's a Mac Pro 1, 1 and the card is not really made for that model in mind.

Don't let anybody tell you, you have to buy that Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter that cost $99 in order to run two 24" monitors. Just buy two Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter from monoprice.com, $6.46 each instead of the ones from Apple for $29.00
September 26, 2011 08:46AM
I'm in the same boat. Apple now has two page listing specific cards:
This page lists cards that WON'T work; the 3870 is on it.
That's the same card Russ and I have; I had no problems until I tried to download FCPX10.0.1, which the App store won't allow me to do because of the card. The list I just pointed to is the same one Russ did in his second note. I don't know about before, but now the 3870 is on the list.

This page lists card that WILL work (except one, NVIDIA's GeForce 8600M GT, which is on the list, but says it doesn't meet other specs).

Now I'm debating whether to buy the 5770 or the 5880. This will be the third video card in my aging but otherwise lovely MacPro1,1.
September 26, 2011 04:36PM
Yeah, the 3870 will no longer work when you update to FCPX10.0.1 and Motion 5.0.1... Why it worked with the first versionconfused smiley

The 5770 for me, has been working out fine.
March 22, 2013 09:33AM
Yes i have exactly Intel HD Graphics 3000 and its not so good for Motion 5 and i am not satisfied with it so i am also want to change or upgrade it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics