Apple - We Need Answers!

Posted by John Foley 
Apple - We Need Answers!
August 11, 2004 09:45AM
The now shipping Motion tech specs say G4 867 or>Mhz or G5 recommended.

There is seemingly only one video card that can be use in the G4 2/4xAGP slots and that is the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro Mac Edition which still requires we who purchased an ADC connect monitor to spend another $100 for a DVI-ADC converter.

A distrubing bit of information is floating around that claims ONLY a dual mirror door G4 can use this video card and not any earlier Quicksilver G4?
There is no indication of this on the ATI web site and where does this information come from?

Undoubtedly you understand that there are MANY G4 users out ther who are not in a position to purchase a G5, just to run a $300 applicaton.

We need answers!
We Have Answers!
August 11, 2004 11:17AM
I checked with several sources to verify this information. Other than actually trying it, wil remain to be seen.

I have ordered the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro Special Mac Edition that I was assured WILL work in a 4X AGP as well as the G5.

It has ADC-DVI and S-video outputs with 256 MB DDR video ram.

I will know in a couple of days and I will let you all know what I find out.

Quicksilver 2002 - 1.5 Gig Ram
Re: We Have Answers!
August 11, 2004 11:22AM
Find out if it will work in a Performa 6500

:-)

mike
Re: We Have Answers!
August 11, 2004 11:31AM
As Jackie Gleason would say "HARRRRR De HARRRRR- HARRRRR - HARRRRR!
Re: Apple - We Need Answers!
August 11, 2004 11:45AM
John,

I am in your corner. You have to let us know how this all works out. I am on the same 2002 Quicksilver Dual 1 Ghz G4 / 1.5 Gig RAM and I want to keep it. I ordered Motion (excitedly) before even checking if it will run on my box in "Real Time".

No cash for a G5, so your research is important for us Dual Proc G4 users.

WHERE'S PAUL??? WHERE ARE THE "APPLE" GUYS??? We could REALLY use your input on this subject. As John stated, there are A LOT of G4 and Titanium PB G4 owners out there that aren't ready for a G5. Is everybodu waiting until after SIGGRAPH???

Thanx grinning smiley

- Joe
I'll ask about this at Siggraph today. I doubt this card is "officially" supported meaning it hasn't been tested in a G4 so Johns report will be more valuable.

The bottom line in all this is, this is the way it is and the way it always has been. As software becomes more powerful you need more powerful computers to run it. Would Motion had been a glint in anyones eye if not for the existence of a G5?

mike
August 11, 2004 12:04PM
I called a couple of resellers tech support departments to get the same answer.

Even though the box has big G5 lettering on the outside, it is supposed to work in a G4 4xAGP slot.

Let's hope so!!!!
OH! Forgot to mention - Lowest price I could find for the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro Special Mac Edition AGP card was $348.99 at Buy.com - no sales tax- out of state and $12.00 second day shipping.
August 11, 2004 02:21PM
John,

12 hours left = "Buy It Now" for $245 + 12.50 S&H:

[cgi.ebay.com]
Motion performs much better on lower end systems (below "recommended"winking smiley than ever I would have thought possible. G4/1.5 GHz single gets 16-18 fps real time, along with some intelligent caching (meaning it drops to 6-8 frames a second for one pass, then picks up speed again and allows adjustment of parameters in close to real time).

cheers

Philip
What card you got in that PowerBook Philip?

mike
Well, I could check if it wasn't away at Apple care for the second time in 3 weeks!!! (It happens, the Northridge store's behavior was really, really bad, but applecare in general has been OK.)

But there's only two options and I got this one:
ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 with 64MB of DDR SDRAM

cheers

Philip
I have the PB 17 1ghz and has a geoforce4 mx...
really it seems I cannot use it???
Seems like maybe not then, that's sad. sad smiley I was sure I remembered from some discussion with an Apple engineer that all the 17" models did run Motion. Now, there was beer involved in that discussion's context, so I'm sorry for the bad information.

I had to upgrade my not-yet-year-old 12" Powebook to a newer 15" so I can run motion, and I'm pleasantly surprised with the performance. Mostly 16-18 fps off FireWire storage with DV content and generated overlays. Would only slow down for one pass then speed up again.

Cheers

Philip
August 12, 2004 07:46PM
Hi Philip,

How do you tell exactly what card you've got?

ASP says this, but wouldn't plain English be nice.

All the best,

Tom

________

ATY,RV350M10:

Type: display
Bus: AGP
VRAM (Total): 64 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x4e50
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-xxxxx-117

Display:

Display Type: LCD
VRAM (In Use): 64 MB
Resolution: 1280 x 854
Depth: 32-bit Color
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes

ATY,Jasper_B:

Display:

Display Type: LCD
VRAM (In Use): 64 MB
Resolution: 1280 x 854
Depth: 32-bit Color
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes

ATY,Jasper_B:

Apple has a "geek" to English translation on their website:

[docs.info.apple.com]

Which seems to translate my card to a ATI Radeon 9600 XT and your card to a ATI Radeon 9600 Pro

Both on the Motion approved list.

Cheers

Philip
August 13, 2004 10:19AM
Thanks Philip.

Of course mine says RV350M10, whatever that is. I'm guessing with crossed fingers that it's a rev of R350.

All the best,

Tom
Mine also had some extra characters past the ones Apple used to identify it - so I ignored them smiling smiley

Cheers

philip
Powerbook 17
August 14, 2004 01:23PM
it seems that the first one, the 1Ghz cannot run Motion.
in the list there are the 1.33Ghz and 1.5Ghz.
after have spent a big amount of money, after a year, do I have to change a great PB just for Motion?
where is the apple lifestyle?
what they think about "laptops" and "portability"?
where do they have more $?

incredible, I found that the iMac G4 800 15 TFT has the same card, just 32 mb and Motion won't run. (the PB has 64Mb and cannot be used for Motion..)

a very bad project, what could I think for the rest of the software then? would it be an adventure or what it is really what we need, something to produce better and everywhere?

I'm very disappointed like the rest of people in my conditions.
a project has a responsible.
who did the bad job? and will continue to have it.
I hate to work with people who loose time.
I lost time to spend on projecting the next job with the features of Motion. that's bad.
it's easy to say buy a new one and it's ok.
specially after a year.
sorry for my cruel words, but it seems that is is not an error but a decision taken for some interest, I could think.
AND HERE SOME ANSWERS TO NOT RESOLVE THE PROBLEM.
FROM APPLE DISCUSSION..

Topic: Upgrade 1.0 GHz 17" TiG4 for Motion
Original Message ( Posted Aug 12, 04 3:50 pm ) New!
Richert Goyette
Dear Forum Members:
Is there a graphic card that can be substituted for the GeForce4 MX in this PowerBook so that I can run Motion and, if so, who would I contact?
Rich
17" `1.0 GHz TiG4; Mac OS X (10.3.x); 1 GB

RE: Upgrade 1.0 GHz 17" TiG4 for Motion
( msg # 1.: Posted Aug 13, 04 12:31 pm )  New!
Dave Sawyer
Level 4
Denver, Colorado
Sorry, but it's not possible to upgrade the graphics processor in a PowerBook (or most laptops from any vendor, for that matter).
PowerMac G5 DP 2GHz; Mac OS X (10.3.x); 1GB RAM, SuperDrive, Radeon 9600, 160GB HD

RE: Upgrade 1.0 GHz 17" TiG4 for Motion
( msg # 2.: Posted Aug 14, 04 11:39 am )  New!
Jerry Hofmann
Level 4
Denver, CO
Buy a new mac instead... your PB will still sell for a nice price for sure.. probably the only way to upgrade imho...
Jerry
DP 2 Gig G5 DP 533 G4, , Sound Sticks, 22,23" CD; Mac OS X (10.3.x); Kona SD, UL3D, Atlas 10Ks, Huge HMV DSR-11 PVM
/QUOTE

Re: Powerbook 17
August 14, 2004 01:36PM
Yes, I had to upgrade my 1 year old Powerbook 12" to run Motion. I upgraded to the current top of the line 15" though (which I couldn't do last year as the 15" AL wasn't released).

The 12" got passed down to someone else in the organization who got a nice upgrade from an older 12" iBook dual USB model.

Cheers

Philip
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics