How much RAM can I get away with

Posted by Michael Escher 
Hi all,

I was pretty impressed with the personal demo I got at SIGGRAPH last week and was wondering what the general consensus was on memory. While it was being demoed to me, Motion was run on a dual 2gig G5 with 4gigs of memory. On the Apple documentation, they recommend 2gigs to run it with real time processing.

Do I need more than 2gigs to run this thing properly, or was the extra RAM that they had on their machines overkill?

Mike Escher

PS-I got a dual 2gig G5 with a gig of RAM right now. Just wondering how much more I will need to buy...
Why not look at the minimun requirements on the Apple/Motion website
I already mentioned that I checked the minimum requirements on my previous post.

I am wondering what real world results folks on LAFCPUG have gotten from their machines running 2 gigs, 4gigs, and even more...
Sorry, I don't have the nice machine that you have and still wait for "motion" at the moment.

However, in the engineering prospective, more system memory with help you to get longer duration/buffer for real-time previewing. Same case as AfterEffect, more ram, more preview.

The different is the combination of OSX, G5, higher FSB, memory speed, 8X AGP and a powerful OpenGL card. Those make you can't noticed the texture memory is exchanged with the shared system memory time to time. That's fast enough to create a "real time" feeling without any waiting.

Antonio Hui
Ram is very important to Motion. Just behind the Graphics card. So throw as much at it as you can afford.

mike
I'm running 4 GBs of RAM on the dual G5 with 9800 Pro. With 4 videos layers, and text layers that have color dodge applied, I see a few skips. If I add a behavior like adding tracks to motion text, that will slow it down. Particle Emitters work extremely well though.

I am a nut when it comes to ram. I have using all ramjet memory, all matched sticks. So 8 x 512 from the same company and all look like the same batch. No odd ones that don't match the rest of the bunch.

I have had just one quit when I first started to play with it. A few others are reporting several more than that, and I have to wonder if RAM is the issue. Mixed ram, who knows.

When you fill up ram with Combustion or any app that uses all your available memory, you really get a sense for its quality and reliability.

Get good ram. Get as much as you can afford.
Got 4.5GB here, with 9800. Not played with Motion enough yet to know how it performs - still trying to get the grips with the darn thing. As soon as you try and do anything clever with it, it breaks on me....

Graeme
Are you getting unexpected quits?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics