lack of 10 bit rendering

Posted by cinopanacea 
lack of 10 bit rendering
August 20, 2004 05:33AM
Hi all!
I'm from italy, so excuse for bad english.
I've readed the fine review of Motion by Mr Wiggins that states : "There is a downside though to all this flexibility. Version one of Motion is only 8 bit. It will handle 10 bit files in and out, but the internal processing ?under the hood? is all 8 bit.".

I don't know the difference beetween 8 and 10 bit rendering... the lack of 10 bit rendering is visible ?? The quality of images are not too good ??
If I import a motion project in FCP HD and I make render, I obtain a good video quality (I use miniDV) ?
Thanks smiling smiley
Ciaoo
All internal processing is 32bit, not 8bit. Final output is 8bit, but for DV use this is not a problem.

It's always good to do the maths in higher than 8bit, but as long as the final output is reduced back down correctly to 8bit, you'll not see any problems.

Graeme
Re: lack of 10 bit rendering
August 20, 2004 05:42AM
so 10 bit is important if i work with high end systems ??
it's enough for miniDV ?
10 bit is important if you work with 10bit video format, such as DigiBeta. But really, 8bit video done right can look as good as 10bit video anyway. It's only when 8bit video is done wrong do you need to worry. I have no idea as to how well Motion does 8 bit video yet. The important part is that the processing is at 32t bit, which will help a lot no matter what bits you end up with.

Graeme
So we know it's 32 bit internally and 8 bit on output, but does it truncate >8 bit files on input?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics