question for those who want to buy Motion templates

Posted by David Slater 
question for those who want to buy Motion templates
June 28, 2005 04:39PM
Hey Guys (and Gals)

I know a couple of people (who have asked me not to mention who they
are at this point) that are working on some motion templates and asked me to run this poll so they have an idea as how many people are interested in
buying them and how much they are willing to pay

the poll is on the main page of my site <[www.proapptips.com&gt]; if you could please fill out the poll that would be very helpful

THANKS

Post Edited (06-28-05 14:39)

David at Movies Rock in Toronto
[www.tofcpug.com]
Re: question for those who want to buy Motion templates
June 28, 2005 06:50PM
Hey Dave,

The App is only $299 itself, so for a nice sized set of high-end templates (25 to 50), I don't know...$50 to $99? It all depends HIGHLY on how sleek and non-cheesy the templates are. It's easy enough to build a collection of projects to use as templates so for me to go out and buy them, they would have to be better than I could do myself.

Templates are NOT hard to do (if you break them down, they are VERY simple). I have purchased way too many plug-in sets for After Effects over the years where I only used 2 or 3 plug-ins out of 30 or 40. The templates have to be good and usable / editable for me to purchase them and / or recommend that my employer to purchase them.

$$$ example: Look at Wondertouch's Emitter Pack (large) - 330 Motion particle emitters for only $149 = GOOD DEAL!

Thanks!

- Joey

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

June 28, 2005 06:57PM
Hey Joey
I have the poll set up on my site so it would be better to fill it in there <[www.proapptips.com&gt];

David at Movies Rock in Toronto
[www.tofcpug.com]
Would a site where people could swap templates be better?

It wouldn't cost much to set up and run, but it would be very usefull

Peter

June 29, 2005 01:07PM
Peter - right on!

- Joey

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

June 29, 2005 08:08PM
Dave's ProApp Tips would be a great place to swap templates.

Graeme

[www.nattress.com] - Plugins for FCP-X
Why not suggest something like the way production music and sound fx are going. Post them on a web site, with a low res example, then allow people to purchase the particular template they like singularly via download. I think more people would be willing to pay $10 per template for something they really know they'll want, and maybe suits a particular job, than pay $100 for 20 templates they might/might not ever find useful.
I wish they were available now. What's the hold up with Apple getting these out? I thought (and hoped) a LOT of them would be available by now. I could really use a library of new, really good opens and lowers thirds...now.
concur with Steve; partly bought Production Studio cos thought Apple would have brought out more templates in Motion 2; highly disappointed nothing new for us PAL users. Would like to buy some new templates NOW - for corporate and broadcast use - not for amateur weddings etc, think the idea of having low res imagery to check out the templates would be good, and would pay considerably more than $10 if thought good
I would love some canned looks. I'm often too busy to sit down and design stuff on my own. I occassionally use digital juice for this reason.
So whats the word on the templates? Will they be available anytime soon? It seems somebody is really missing out on making a hugh profit just because no one else is doing them. It's a wide open market.
Steve
I dunno if you saw my earlier response, but following Joe Brown's comments above I've invested in DigitalJuice's Editor's Toolkit 6, which is 10 dvds in a handy pak specifically designed as - their title - "corporate and broadcast tools" . It includes some nifty full screen effects with automatic alpha which just works like magic with Final Cut Pro, some nice lower third stuff and some full screen wipes that I havent been able to make work properly yet. One pack like this has something like 400 different screen FX, backgrounds etc, really recommend you go to Digital Juice site and check it out (good previews there) as although you might have to combine a couple to make your own opening sequence say, it is really handy. A chap at Apple wrote me in response to my / your request promising more templates in future editions of Motion...this gives you real creative options now.
Where can you buy the stuff? Well their site tells you the nearest reseller, and I wanna tell you, I got them in one hour flat in Johannesburg South Africa, so in the US it shouldnt take you too long!
Hey Paul,

The wipes are pretty easy to use. Some are fullscreen full color which you just overlay on a track above and do a cut when the wipe is full screen. The others you do as an alpha key.

Sorry Joe I didn't see it.

I'll look into them right now.

"...A chap at Apple wrote me in response to my / your request promising more templates in future editions of Motion..."

Future editions??? It figures... Livetype has been good for me when I need something quick. If I have more time, I might use Motion, but Livetype is not as quick and responsive as Motion, but it has more templates that apply to what I do...and it lacks many of the features I like.

You would have thought by now Motion users would have tons of them floating around (since it's SO easy ;-) or for sale. It's very confusing to me.

If I was still using a PC, I think the web would be flooded with templates if they had a program like Motion. Every kid with a computer would be showing off his "skills". Very odd that no company or person has taken the opportunity to enrich the community (or himself) with what many are wanting.

Very odd indeed.
Thanks Joe, re the wipes. . I think I am probably not using the Juicer 2 correctly; funny thing is if I just drag the real movie clip to my desktop and put it as top video line in FCP the alpha works beautifully. But if I render the thing anyway - embedded or QT in Juicer it loses its alpha and you just get black where the alpha level should be. OK, so then you can use the Key effect in FCP and get rid of the issue mostly, but that kind of defeats the point y'know. I wonder if its because I'm needing the stuff in PAL...but it shouldnt be I know. Anyway, I still love the Digital Juice stuff, and to I agree with what Steve is saying wholeheartedly, while no-one is making dem Motion templates, Digital Juice works for me and I'm real grateful to you for the knowledge
Paul
If you're having a problem getting an alpha when you convert the movie in the juicer it may be that the format you're using doesn't support alpha (such as DV/DVCPRO).

Yeah I've been integrating Jumpbacks with most of the stuff I do for some time now, and Apple Motion with them has really helped my productions "jump-out" more for sure. Still...layering and compositing takes more time than I usually have, but must find time for.

This is also part of the problem. To become proficient in Motion, you need to work with it often enough to make it cost effective. By the time "I" come up with a good template, I've invested more than what I could reasonable charge for the work. The forces driving my business require me to spend more time in other places than I do with Motion. Rinse & repeat.

Mother nature abhors a vacuum, but obviously she isn?t looking this way right now...

Hmmm...that gives me a idea...What say we start with ourselves!
How about we figure out (something) that ?we? need, and collaborate. We might make some really nice stuff....you never know. Kinda like sweat equity.

We could email the files to one another and add and subtract different ideas to make the different templates ?we? need. Then, if we?re any good, we could share them with the community. It might be interesting to see how a idea would evolve. As different members download them, they could make additions or changes and post them and in turn the next guy could modify it and pass it along. That way we?re ?time-sharing? a template till we have a variety.

Could be very cool and wouldn?t take up so much of my time since I?m only making a few changes every time it comes around.
We would just need a place to post the file & thumbnail so people could see what theme it is.

...just a idea.

Any news on the horizon about any new templates?
Steve
your ideas are real good but as with you the problem is having the time to develop things. I've been getting great fresults from digital juicve stuff but like you am frustrated at the time it takes to create something, cios probably like you I dont just want to take what they have on offer, I like to make it unique by adapting it = yet more time. And because these templates are not Motion and have alpha in them they have to be made in "animation" rather than dv = more time, and then once in FCP have to be made into dv = more time!!!
Rgds
Paul Tilsley
April 26, 2006 03:45AM
ive done a few military satellite scanner type rip off Templates. Anyone wanna see?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics